Smart space management for double space sentences

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Alan

Smart space management for double space sentences

Post by Alan »

I have Tools > Auto Correct Options Smart space management checked and clicking the Rules button, Allow double space is checked. I am expecting this to automatically maintain a double space between sentences when cutting & pasting. When I Paste a word or two at the beginning of a sentence with a double space, that space is reduced to one space. Should the Paste operation maintain the double space or set the space to double when inserting immediately after a period?
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are right that you are expecting the "Smart space management" options affect the Delete/Cut/Paste operations. The "Two spaces between sentences" option means that Atlantis is supposed to maintain two spaces between sentences if these two spaces were originally inserted by the author of this document. But this option does not mean that Atlantis will insert extra space character between two sentences if these sentences are separated with a single space character. In other words, this option means that both 1 and 2 spaces are allowed between sentences.

Yes, the second space should not be removed if you paste immediately before the first word of the next sentence. For example, if we have the following text (asterisks mean spaces between sentences):

This is Sentence 1.**And this is Sentence 2.

and you paste something immediately before “And”, two spaces after “Sentence 1.” are maintained.

Also if you select “And”, and cut or delete it, there should be still two spaces between “Sentence 1.” and “this”:

This is Sentence 1.**this is Sentence 2.

This is how the next release of Atlantis will work. Thanks.
filmchick

Post by filmchick »

Bumping this up from the dark ages for another question:
Is there a way to /require/ two spaces between sentences with Atlantis?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, but there is no way to instruct Atlantis to "require" two spaces between sentences. You can have two spaces between sentences only if you check each and every sentence in your document manually. You could use the "Find / Replace" feature of Atlantis. Just choose the "Edit | Find..." menu command, type ". ^$" (a fullstop plus a space character plus <any letter>) in the "Find" box, and click the "Find Next" button to find sentences separated with a single space.
Robert

Post by Robert »

filmchick wrote:Is there a way to /require/ two spaces between sentences with Atlantis?
Hi,
1. Open the "Tools | AutoCorrect Options..." dialog.
2. Type a period plus 1 space character in the "Replace" box.
3. Type a period plus 2 space characters in the "Replace With" box.
4. Check the "AutoCorrect as you type" option.
5. OK out of the dialog.
Atlantis will automatically replace any sequence of "period+ 1 space character" with "period+ 2 space characters".

Note that sentences can end with an exclamation or a question mark.
You can add 2 other replacement pairs to your AutoCorrect entries:

!+space > !space+space
?+space > ?+space+space

Cheers,
Robert
kenfhill84083

Re: Smart space management for double space sentences

Post by kenfhill84083 »

How would I replace ."_ with ."__ the underscores represent spaces. I want 2 spaces after ."

Same with ?"_ and !"_

I cannot seem to make autocorrect give me the result I want.

Using Atlantis 4.2.1.1
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you mean replacing “.<space>” with “.<space><space>” as you type, your “replace .. with ...” pair seems to work correctly in the latest version 4.2.2.3: as soon as I type a space after a period, I get two spaces instead.

If you need to correct spacing in existing documents (i.e. “after you type”), you can enable the wildcard search, specify the below “Find what” pattern:

Code: Select all

([.!?]) ([!^w])
and replace with:

\1  \2
This would deal with sentences terminated with fullstops, exclamation and question marks.

The following "Find what" pattern would also cover cases when there is a double quote after the fullstop or the exclamation/question mark:

([.!?]"{0,1}) ([!^w])
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Thanks for your helpful tip. I got got hijacked onto a different project right after your answer.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

admin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:27 am The following "Find what" pattern would also cover cases when there is a double quote after the fullstop or the exclamation/question mark:

([.!?]"{0,1}) ([!^w])
Followup question. When using this regex code (which works great) I am left with 2-space-things like "Dr. Smith", "cp. asdf" , "Gen. 3:15" - where 2 spaces are not generally used. That makes sense.

But Is there a simple way to clean up these types of issues?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is no search pattern that would ignore the above abbreviations. You need to review each reported item individually, and do replace only when appropriate.