Tables?

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Erik Nordlund

Tables?

Post by Erik Nordlund »

Well, must say that I am really impressed by Atlantis 1.0 but what about support for tables.<br><br>That would be a great future for future versions!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tables?

Post by admin »

Support for tables is scheduled for the next major release of Atlantis.
Matth

Post by Matth »

Same here... I love Atlantis but if it's going to take over from Word completely for me, tables have to be there. And open-able by people using Word, as well. (I write AV scripts, which use tables as the basic format).<br><br>When can we expect the next version of Atlantis with tables included?<br><br>Actually I've just noticed.... I can apparently have a table in here but not in the program. Now ain't that ironic.<br><br> :)
BrozNetworks

Post by BrozNetworks »

Whoa! &nbsp;Hold your horses! &nbsp;Atlantis 1.0 was only just released and you want to know when the next major release will be. &nbsp;There will be quite a few minor releases before a major release is even thought about. &nbsp;;D
virgilarrington

Post by virgilarrington »

Let's not lose sight of Atlantis' place and value, which, to me, lay in its simplicity, extremely small size, and price. &nbsp;I'm not looking for a substitute for Word, but a small, fast supplement to it. &nbsp;I can do 95% of my work on Atlantis, without the bloat of Word. &nbsp;When I need the extra features, I'll use the hog. &nbsp;Just like I own two cars, one a van for the family and one a small econobox for general work. &nbsp;Sure, it would be nice to have the power of Word on a floppy disk, but I doubt the possibility of that. &nbsp;I, for one, would hate to see Atlantis grow to yet another word processing behomoth just to get all the features I'll never use.<br><br>I'd rather see the immediate focus on fixing the minor limitations (like allowing two spaces after a sentence without wrapping the second space to the next line; or changing the font and size of page numbers; and adding fully editable headers and footers) than adding more complex features such as tables. But, I realize I'm just one user.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

About allowing two spaces after a sentence without wrapping the second space to the next line.<br><br>The next build of Atlantis – 1.0.0.31 – will allow this. In other words, the second space will not be wrapped to the next line. But the third space will be wrapped.<br>Probably this new build will be available this weekend (April 7 or 8, 2001).
Matth

Post by Matth »

I totally agree about not making Atlantis into bloatware - its being young, lithe, and fast is a big big attraction for me with an ageing laptop. It's just I use tables a lot for work - for some purposes clients demand them - and much as I detest those big powerful programs, they DO have tables, so I do have to keep using them.<br><br>Out of idle interest, are tables a big deal from a programming point of view? Would they turn Atlantis into a far bigger land mass?<br><br>Matt
Max_Quordlepleen

Post by Max_Quordlepleen »

<br>
virgilarrington wrote:<br>Let's not lose sight of Atlantis' place and value, which, to me, lay in its simplicity, extremely small size, and price.  I'm not looking for a substitute for Word, but a small, fast supplement to it.  I can do 95% of my work on Atlantis, without the bloat of Word.  When I need the extra features, I'll use the hog
<br><br>I am of a very similar opinion. I love Atlantis precisely because it's small and fast, and I have WordPerfect9 for the occasions when I need to do something Atlantis can't. WP is nowhere near the bloated crapware M$ Word is, but even so, Atlantis beats it hands down for at least 90% of my wordprocessing needs. If it ever does include a publish to PDF feature, it will be very nearly the complete answer for me.
Salaam alaikum, noho ora mai
http://maxqnz.com/References.html
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

<br><br>
Matth wrote:<br>I totally agree about not making Atlantis into bloatware - its being young, lithe, and fast is a big big attraction for me with an ageing laptop.<br><br>Out of idle interest, are tables a big deal from a programming point of view? Would they turn Atlantis into a far bigger land mass?<br><br>Matt<br>
<br><br>First, there are "different tables", there are different implementations.<br><br>We will do our best by adding new useful features, and trying to retain Atlantis fast, compact, and simple in use.
Dysmas

Post by Dysmas »

True, I would also like Atlantis remaining small enough. But I expect more from it : Word is frustrating with useless features, and basic strange limitations about typography. You can have things that move and sing (what is the use of that when printed ?) but you cannot make a correct style sheet because spaces before and after paragraphs are not correctly handled... <br><br>About Styles : Really a fine job the tree listing of styles. <br><br>I hope Atlantis will continue to evolve, it can be for me a really useful (or necessary ?) tool. <br><br>
temporary

Post by temporary »

I too would love to see Atlantis support tables (of data) but without losing its compactness which I think is a key factor. I have been looking for such a wordprocessor that could do most of MS Word's formatting, bullets and numbering, etc. It would be great to see what Atlantis comes up with as I can finally move to Atlantis and never use MS Word again. I have just been introduced to Atlantis not too long ago and have been using it for simple projects and would LOVE to go all the way with it.<br><br>Just my two cents
Max_Quordlepleen

Post by Max_Quordlepleen »

admin wrote:<br>Support for tables is scheduled for the next major release of Atlantis.<br>
<br><br>Just to endorse your plan to support tables, here's the text of an e-mail I got today from someone to whom I had recommended Atlantis:<br><br>I've downloaded it and installed it.   It looks really, really, good.  <br>However, there is one thing it DOESN'T have which it really needs to be able<br>to foot it with the big boys.  And only one.<br><br>It's tables.   Without tables, no word processor can claim to be<br>fully-featured.  Most of the other hoo-raw is just distracting.  Tables<br>provide a word processor with the ability to multi-column without needing to<br>have the drama associated with publishing programmes such as PageMaker<br>(which I use alla time).   They also enable finer formatting than provided<br>by paragraph formatting without all the drama associated with different<br>types and units of measure.<br><br>I would have said "Who needs another word processing system?" - I wrote a<br>BRIEF-style programming tool way back when and vowed and declared I wouldn't<br>waste my time on one again - but Atlantis (with the caveat above) would<br>fulfil nearly 100% of my word processing (vs publishing) needs.<br><br>Love the typewriter sound effects.  It got my wife screaming through to find<br>out when the hell and why the hell I'd bought a typewriter!<br><br>This gentleman has been an IT consultant and lecturer for close to twenty years now, so I was delighted to hear his support of your fine work.
Salaam alaikum, noho ora mai
http://maxqnz.com/References.html
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very interesting review. Well, I already told that tables are scheduled for future versions of Atlantis.<br><br>Though I think that it is enough hard to say that a program is not fully-featured. Each user requires his (her) own set of functions. There are people who are completely happy with Notepad. But there are some who are not satisfied with MS Word 2000 + Corel WordPerfect 9.0.<br><br>A couple of words about sounds. The new sound scheme Wildlife is coming soon...
Stirlitz

Post by Stirlitz »

Well, it has been two years since the issue was raised and no progress so far... I am told by Admin that tables are not the feature that most users really want, they must be more concerned with footnotes. Frankly, I am not convinced at all, but I want to make sure. So my question is: are tables more important than footnotes? Is it a good idea to wait two more years till they come?
I guess that tables are harder to implement, but anyway, I nearly gave up my old MS Word 7.0, but am still forced to use it when writing something with tables. For example, I wrote an article about free email recently that included a table featuring prominent servers - user quota, URL, features, etc. I had to use MS Word again. (In fact, I like MS Word 7.0 but I like Atlantis much more and I hate next Word versions). The other day I was asked to print out some term paper that contained a lot of text and a few tables (I mean that it would not be a good idea to use a spreadsheet). I am also writing a book on English grammar, and it contains a lot of tables too. There is a program that I am trying to improve; I made the list of all its keyboard shortcuts F1, F2, etc crossed with modifiers Alt, Ctrl, etc - is there a better way to list them than a table? Anyway, I may be different from most users, but I guess that tables are too important to table, sorry for the pun.
JohnStafford

Footnotes

Post by JohnStafford »

No question about the value of tables. My own interest would be footnotes however, and the ability to customise them. Atlantis would meet about 90% of my needs at that point.
spencero

Tables?

Post by spencero »

I love Atlantis and use it for about 75% of my word processing. But I need table support for the other 25%. Any idea when (or if) Atlantis will support tables?

I'd even pay for Atlantis again--it is far and away the slickest word processor I have used.
fj42

Post by fj42 »

Hi all,

First, I would like to say that I am very pleased with Atlantis. I was introduced to it only 2 weeks ago (v1.5). It is an impressive product in many ways. I have been in the IT/Publishing business for over 20 years now (was once a distributor for Adobe and Quark).

I am in the process of starting a new company to do documentation management and proofing/editing/conversion. I will be focusing on technical documentation. This is where Atlantis let's me down as much technical documentation (also general business and finance) requires tables. We use tables a great deal because the documents are full of data that requires a tabular format. I *am* pleased that Atlantis will open most of my Word 9 documents with few errors, even those with tables. :)

I still intend to use Atlantis as it is still a very useful tool for me. Tables would make it just about perfect! :D Even basic, simple tables would be a good start.

Many thanks for a fine product and I look farward to watching it's progress! :)
Stirlitz

3 years later

Post by Stirlitz »

Stirlitz wrote: Well, it has been two years since the issue was raised and no progress so far...
Well well well... It has been a year more and no progress. Perhaps I am too impatient and why not wait five or ten years, they will surely come. By the time I will have written a novel titled 'Atlantis. Ten years later'. Still, hopefully it may come sooner than that? Or no tables in foreseeable future?
Richard L. Brown

Post by Richard L. Brown »

admin wrote: Support for tables is scheduled for the next major release of Atlantis.
That was really nice to hear back in March of 2001, but a lot more people believed George Bush then too.

PLEASE ! My hair is turning much greyer and I would really like to be able to do tables before I die.

Other than that, I love it.
Prince

Post by Prince »

Oh, yes! This would make Atlantis even a more useful tool for business.
Just call me the Prince