Paragraph Style display

General comments and questions. Technical support.
JPh1

Paragraph Style display

Post by JPh1 »

When I modify a paragraph in Word, the new paragraph style shows up in the "Styles and formatting" task pane, so I can easily apply it to other paragraphs on the fly.

In AWP, the modified paragraph style does not show in the "Styles" control board. It looks like I have to create a new style from scratch for it to show, which is much less convenient.

Is this correct?
rstroud

Re: Paragraph Style display

Post by rstroud »

The questions here are almost always unclear to me. I am not sure whether you are talking about
1. Modifying an existing style and updating the same style; or
2. Modifying a paragraph and saving the new format as an additional style. I am going to assume that you mean this second possibility.

You are correct that it is a hassle to create a new style from scratch. But you can use a fairly easy workaround that cuts out the need for entering all the settings. Steps are outlined below. The method involves keeping an extra style available for use, as I will explain. Call this extra style anything — for example, ‘TempStyle’.

STEPS
1. Click on ‘Normal’ in the Styles list in the Control Panel. Then use the icon at lower left for ‘New Style’. Save the new style as ‘TempStyle’. Do not tinker with any settings. You are really just creating a clone of ‘Normal’ under the Normal style.
2. Modify an existing paragraph.
3. You now want to create an additional style that incorporates your modifications to the paragraph,
4. Select the text of the modified paragraph to highlight it.
5. Select TempStyle from the Styles list, but do not double-click it. You just want it to be highlighted.
6. At the lower left you will see the middle icon (‘Update highlighted style’). Click it.
7. The styles of the highlighted paragraph are transferred over to the style named TempStyle.
8. Rename TempStyle by using the ‘Modify Style’ icon at the bottom left. Rename the style to whatever you want.
9. If you want, create another dummy style named TempStyle for use if you should need it again.

To update an already existing style, you should be able to use the same approach of highlighting a paragraph and any style name and clicking on the middle icon 'Update highlighted style'.

I hope I got all of that right. I tried it, and it worked.
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

Thank you for taking the time to respond and offer a workaround.

Here are images of what I was trying to say:

Word
Word
Capture.JPG (45.18 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
AWP
AWP
Capture1.JPG (29.3 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atlantis does not automatically add new styles to the document’s style list, at least not when you apply font formatting to the document text. I do not think that Word does either.

MS Word offers a number of options you can use to customize its “Styles” tool. It can display not only the actual styles (permanent styles) stored in the file of the active document, but also styles from the associated document template, recent formatting, etc. Atlantis does not have those Word’s options. But it has the Format Brush and the Format Palette tools. And adding new permanent styles to a document in Atlantis is not hard at all.