autocorrect items reset after update

General comments and questions. Technical support.
franklekens

autocorrect items reset after update

Post by franklekens »

I've just updated from (I think) 4.2.2.4 to 4.2.2.5, and after restarting and then rebooting the computer, all the autocorrect items have been reset to the default. I don't quite understand how this could happen.

Fortunately I have a backup from about a week and a half ago, but is it normal for Atlantis to reset the autocorrect list to default when updating?
franklekens

Re: autocorrect items reset after update

Post by franklekens »

It's even worse. I've just imported the backup, then restared Atlantis, thinking it would thus be saved into the setting (or actually the Windows registry?).

But after restarting, the autocorrect list is reset to default AGAIN. What's up with this?
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

And when I say default, I mean that these are the *only* entries present in the list -- don't know whether that's actually the default or not:

-- –
- –
(c) ©
(r) ®
(tm) ™
... …
<< «
>> »
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Compared to 4.2.2.4, version 4.2.2.5 contains only bug fixes unrelated to the AutoCorrect feature or to the way how Atlantis loads/saves its settings.

Atlantis 4.2.1+ does not store its settings in the Registry anymore.
I've just imported the backup
If you mean a Registry backup, it will not work if the “user files” folder of Atlantis (“My documents\Atlantis” by default) contains Atlantis.ini. If you close Atlantis, rename the Atlantis.ini file from the “My documents\Atlantis” folder, and launch Atlantis again, it would try to load settings from the Registry. But on close, Atlantis 4.2.1+ always saves settings to an INI file exclusively. If you want to backup your Atlantis settings, you can backup the Atlantis.ini file, or even the entire "My documents\Atlantis" folder.
lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

It happened to me, too. All my autocorrects have gone, and I can't import them from the old file. I think it might be different coding? anything new that I put in sticks, but I have far too many to do that for everything I had there before.
Lynne Connolly
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

admin wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:51 pm Compared to 4.2.2.4, version 4.2.2.5 contains only bug fixes unrelated to the AutoCorrect feature or to the way how Atlantis loads/saves its settings.

Atlantis 4.2.1+ does not store its settings in the Registry anymore.
I've just imported the backup
If you mean a Registry backup, it will not work if the “user files” folder of Atlantis (“My documents\Atlantis” by default) contains Atlantis.ini. If you close Atlantis, rename the Atlantis.ini file from the “My documents\Atlantis” folder, and launch Atlantis again, it would try to load settings from the Registry. But on close, Atlantis 4.2.1+ always saves settings to an INI file exclusively. If you want to backup your Atlantis settings, you can backup the Atlantis.ini file, or even the entire "My documents\Atlantis" folder.
No, I meant restore via "load from file".

As the other poster says, that doesn't seem to stick.
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Could it be it has something to do with a maximum size or number of entries? I have a huge file containing over 10.000 typos corrected over the years.

(I know this may seem like overkill to some. But as long as you're used to them working, it's more work to sift out only the "necessary ones" than just to keep all the entries in there and let them accrue.)
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

I have just checked. I see that all the autocorrect items *are* are present in the ini file, and that ini file does seem to be loaded (and saved on exit). But for some reason the autocorrect items aren't in effect and don't show up in the autocorrect dialogue. That only happens if I manually load a separately saved backup text file containing the autocorrect items after starting up Atlantis.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lynneconnolly wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:24 pm It happened to me, too. All my autocorrects have gone, and I can't import them from the old file. I think it might be different coding? anything new that I put in sticks, but I have far too many to do that for everything I had there before.
Possibly when you updated, there was an old manually saved Atlantis.ini file under the “My documents\Atlantis” folder containing your old settings. Please close all running instances of Atlantis (if any), use the file manager to move the “Atlantis.ini” file from “My documents\Atlantis” to another folder, or just rename it to, let's say, “_Atlantis.ini”. Launch Atlantis. Most probably it would load your recent settings from the Windows Registry.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

franklekens wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:38 am I have just checked. I see that all the autocorrect items *are* are present in the ini file, and that ini file does seem to be loaded (and saved on exit). But for some reason the autocorrect items aren't in effect and don't show up in the autocorrect dialogue. That only happens if I manually load a separately saved backup text file containing the autocorrect items after starting up Atlantis.
Could you please email your INI file to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the INI file. I see no problem with it. It contains the AutoCorrect settings for the Dutch language. Is your document text marked as Dutch?
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Yes, language selection isn't the problem. The ini file may look fine, but all the autocorrection items contained in it do not show up in the autocorrection dialogue, which only contains a handful of default items every time I start up Atlantis.

(The reason it took me a while to notice is I very rarely start it up, I prefer having it run continuously and hibernate the computer until absolutely forced to restart because of an update or some such.)

I have another computer on which 4.2.1.1 was installed. It didn't seem to suffer from this problem, since it started up and a full long list of autocrrect items was present in the autocorrect dialogue. I have just updated it (on purpose to check this) to 4.2.2.5, and now it shows the same behaviour: after every restart, autocorrect starts with a clean slate. So to my mind it's definitely due to one of the updates in between.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The INI file is the only place where the recent releases of Atlantis store the AutoCorrect data. Your INI file contains plenty of your custom AutoCorrect items for the Dutch language. And this INI file was generated by 4.2.2.5. If I load your INI to 4.2.2.5+ (in any supported way), your AutoCorrect data gets loaded correctly, and is offered through the “AutoCorrect Options” dialog for texts marked as belonging to the Dutch language.

But what exactly do you mean by this:
That only happens if I manually load a separately saved backup text file containing the autocorrect items after starting up Atlantis.
Do you mean that you try to load a different set of “replace with” pairs (different from what's already in your INI file) through “Tools | AutoCorrect Options... > Load from File...”?
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

Yes, I load a different set of “replace with” pairs (different from what's already in your INI file) through “Tools | AutoCorrect Options... > Load from File...”?. I don't try to, I do. Because "what's already in your INI file" is not ACTIVE. They may show up in the ini file, but when I go to "Tools | AutoCorrect Options... " they are not there.

As described, they were there in version 4.2.2.1. As soon as I updated to 4.2.2.5, they were not there. It's as though it doesn't read the ini file. Even though *other options*, like toolbar configuration, is remembered, so seemingly it does read the ini file. But not the autocorrect options.

I don't know how else to explain it. I have just exited Atlantis. The umpteen autocorrection items worked, because I had loaded them from a file. I restarted it. The autocorrection items don't work, they are not present in the list. The autocorrection dialogue looks like in the screenshot:

As you see, just the small default list. I don't know why they are not read from the ini file, but they're not. Although as you say, they are in there.

This happens no matter what I do. I can save a copy of the ini file through the configuration interface, and then give the command to load *that* ini file. Doesn't help: it starts up with the small default list again.
For some reason, Atlantis won't *read* the autocorrection part of the ini file anymore. And as described, it *did* still do this in version 4.2.2.1, but it doesn't anymore in 4.2.2.5. I saw this happen on my laptop, where it worked with version .1, but started displaying this faulty behaviour as soon as I updated to .5.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to make sure that I have not missed anything, I have one more time replaced my Atlantis.ini file with your Atlantis.ini, and launched Atlantis. Then created a new document, pressed Ctrl+A, applied “Dutch” to the selection, then clicked “Tools | AutoCorrect Options...”. Your custom data was there.

Do you launch Atlantis in any special way? Do you use a custom command-line, or simply click a standard Desktop shortcut created by the setup file of Atlantis?

This is how recent releases of Atlantis work:

If you launch the executable file of Atlantis (awp.exe) without any command-line switches, it tries to load settings from “<Atlantis user files folder>\Atlantis.ini” (by default, from “My documents\Atlantis\Atlantis.ini”). If this INI file is not available, Atlantis tries to load settings from the Registry. If no settings available in the Registry, the factory settings are used. Then when you close Atlantis, it always saves settings to “<Atlantis user files folder>\Atlantis.ini”.
Please make sure that your correct INI file is within the “My documents\Atlantis” folder (assuming that you have not switched to a different location for your Atlantis files on the “Load/Save” tab of the “Tools | Options...” dialog), then launch awp.exe without any command-line switches.
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

That's weird!

No, i always launch it from the shortcut in the Windows taskbar, and as far as I can see that refers to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlantis\awp.exe".
When I close an ini file is indeed saved in "D:\Documenten\Atlantis", and as far as I can see that is the file that is loaded on startup: other configuration features (like toolbars &c) are loaded correctly.
But I just tried again, and although the long list of autocorrect items for Dutch *is* present in the last saved ini file, they are *not* loaded after startup. I have to manually load them from a backup I saved as text file before exiting (Via "autocorect options>load from file").

Under Tools>Options>Load/Save I haven't specified a different location, it just says "D:\Documenten\Atlantis".
Don't know what could be wrong otherwise. (Also, I've noticed it on two different computers now.)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Have you tried version 4.3? You can install it to a separate folder, and check if the issue persists in the latest beta. If so, we could send you a special build to find out what exactly is going on on your system.
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

I have not.
The browser says the file can't be downloaded safely from the link here.
viewtopic.php?t=2530
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is nothing unsafe about this beta.

You can also always download the latest beta through the "Help | Check for Updates..." menu command of Atlantis.
franklekens

Post by franklekens »

In beta c0 the autocorrect items are present on start-up.

I'll continue trying this.
(Don't know what all you've done, but I'm noticing a marked speed increase in start-up with multiple documents open.)