Reload open documents

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Shan

Reload open documents

Post by Shan »

I have Tools/ Options/ Reload open documents ticked/ enabled.
Win10
Atlantis 4.1 .....

Before I 'upgraded' to the newer Atlantis 4.0 it used to load my most recent open documents on startup. (E.g. when Windows crashes in with an "upgrade".) Now the newer Atlantis loads a set of documents from months ago - some sort of way point. These are by now irrelevant and all my careful collection of documents currently is lost. Hugely inconvenient. So I avoid closing my laptop for weeks which has other inconveniences.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Reload open documents

Post by admin »

The latest version is 4.2.2.3. Why don’t you use it?

The recent releases of Atlantis store settings in INI files exclusively. To backup your Atlantis settings, you could simply make a copy of Atlantis.ini from “My documents\Atlantis”. Or make a copy of the entire “My documents\Atlantis” folder - in this way your spellchecker files, document templates, clips, etc would be also preserved.
Shan

Post by Shan »

Thank you for reply.
Upgrading is always disruptive because of changing things. In the last few months of my PhD I can't afford that. Later.
I do keep a copy of the ini file.

I don''t think the ini file answers my problem. The issue is that on startup Atlantis doesn't open with the documents I was using before. (It used to do this before the last upgrade.)
What I get on startup is a set of documents from months and months ago. It looks like a point when the list is taken at long intervals. I don't find that useful and have to get rid of them then hunt up all the docs I was using a few hours ago.
So I lose the 10- 15 documents I was working on. These are scattered so I cant always emember where they are.
Nor does it help to tell me to to make a session backup. Windows often does a restart to upgrade (how I hate the disruption of upgrades) or there is some other glitch that means closing down.
I just want what we had before. My browser does it - all my pages from last time appear after a restart so why not Atlantis?
Shan

Reload docs

Post by Shan »

What I want is to see all my open documents reappear after a restart. I have Tools. Options/ Reload Open Documents after startup enabled. But all I get is an old set of docs from months ago. It's like a snapshot taken at long intervals instead of current content.

(previous query got reply about saving settings in ini which was not my question so am trying again)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Which version are you actually using? You mention version 4.0. You mention version 4.1. You mention some “upgrading”, but you say that you do not want to upgrade to the latest version. You want to avoid problems with the latest version, but you do have certain problems with your current version. So this is all quite confusing.

The "Help | About..." menu command reports your current version. If you upgraded to version 4.2.1 (or higher), and all of a sudden Atlantis started using some “old settings”, this has a simple explanation. Version 4.2.1 stores settings in INI files exclusively. If there is “Atlantis.ini” file under the “My documents\Atlantis” folder, version 4.2.1+ would use the settings from that file at startup. You can close all running instances of Atlantis (if any), use the file manager to rename the “Atlantis.ini” file from “My documents\Atlantis” to “temp.ini”. Run Atlantis again, and since there is no INI file, Atlantis would probably load your recent settings from the Registry.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It would be easier to assist you if your version was up-to-date. In any case, it is a good to keep the Backup Files tool enabled.