Installing latest Google Noto font families changed lines per page

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Alan

Installing latest Google Noto font families changed lines per page

Post by Alan »

I updated my set of Google font families (Noto_Sans, Noto_Sans_Mono, Noto_Serif) today and went from 35 lines per page down to 27 on my custom page size of 4.25″ width and 7″ height. The fonts are TrueType (.ttf) as they were before. The characters/words per line looks roughly the same but the spacing in-between lines looks larger: same 9-point font size and same single line spacing. Have I missed something in my install?
I noticed that the file now opens up in a few seconds instead of 1 to 2 minutes. I want about the 35 lines per page back as this is a common number for my paperback books. I no longer have the previous version of the font families files.
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Alan

Re: Installing latest Google Noto font families changed lines per page

Post by Alan »

I figured out that I was using the hinted versions of the fonts. I found them at https://notofonts.github.io and went from 27 lines per page to 31. I wanted closer to 35. Determined that under Paragraph Format > Line spacing: > Exactly 12 pt gave me 35 lpp. For my 12-point headings I use Exactly 16 pt. Reorganized the paragraph styles so all 9-point styles fall under 1 main style where I declare the Exactly 12 pt; and all 12-point styles fall under 1 main style where I declare the Exactly 16 pt.
I am pleased with this and have the added benefit that the files now open in 1 second instead of 1 to 3 minutes with these latest version fonts.
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Did you try using a line spacing of exactly 12 points with the hinted fonts?

I am a font junkie. I also used to fool around with font creation (Fontographer, FontLab), and I was never aware that hinting affected the printed output. Hinting just helps bitmapped images (the fonts) appear smoother on screens. At least, that was my understanding. The font files are a little bigger, because the hinting information is included in them, but I cannot believe that hinted font files were the reason that your book was so incredibly slow to load.

By the way, I use the Noto fonts and just updated them earlier this week. They are my standard fonts.

I would not use unhinted font files. But that is a personal decision. Glad you found a solution.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi rstroud,
I did try the line spacing with the hinted fonts, it worked well. I decided to use the regular font families I downloaded as there are more styles available in them and I could not see an advantage to using the hinted files. Am using a 4K/UHD display turned vertical just for word processing, no readily apparent difference between the two.
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Thanks! :)