Font preview issue

General comments and questions. Technical support.
patr

Font preview issue

Post by patr »

Hi,

I've been having an issue with the font preview window hanging/freezing (font selection drop-down menu).

I think it has something to do with a few fonts I'm using. One of these is Sanskrit2003 and I placed it in the fav section on top. So what happens is that in selecting a font for a document, I naturally move the mouse cursor over the fonts in the list (among them the fav section) and in passing over Sanskrit2003 it causes Atlantis to hang for quite some time. I even think the bigger the document, the longer the hang although I'm not sure. Anyway, it's a significant hang, it can last for 30 seconds during which Atlantis is completely unresponsive. If I then do something else like go to my browser, the font menu with empty preview window next to it (the graphical element) keeps showing over other windows like my browser. So it's definitely hanging on the font list. Even if I don't place said fonts in my fav list on top, it will hang down in the regular list when passing over them.

Anyway, there aren't many options for Devanagari fonts and such, so I kind of have to work with what's out there. Which leads me to the following request:

Would it possible (or is it already) to give Atlantis the option to turn off font preview? The reason I didn't put this post in the "Requests" section is because I don't know if there is an issue in Atlantis that is causing this problem (even if with certain fonts).

To further fortify my reason for asking about this: I think most people that use Atlantis know what kind of font(s) they want to use and don't need or want to see the preview. However, I think the font preview is a great feature. But I think it should be an optional feature in my opinion. I think if it were optional, it would do away with issues like I'm having (and thus save you guys time!) and people who desire previewing fonts can turn it on.

Thank you :)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Font preview issue

Post by admin »

No problem with this font on my system.

What about font previews in a blank new document?
patr

Post by patr »

Sorry for the late response -- I thought I had saved the document I was having the issue with (a copy-paste from a web article) and then couldn't find it anymore but I actually just found it :)

Okay, I was re-reading my original post and realized I did not clarify that I often have this issue when copy-pasting from the web into Atlantis, but maybe not exclusively so. So it could have to do with formatting in relation to that particular font.

Good news is, I can recreate the issue with that document each time so I have no doubt you can too on your end.

I have sent the document to support@atlantiswordprocessorDOTcom

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the document file.

The problem is not about fonts. The problem is with the superlong paragraph in your document. If you enable the "View | Special Symbols" mode, you will notice plenty of line break characters used instead of "end of paragraph" marks.

The next release of Atlantis will include a provision for such cases.
patr

Post by patr »

That makes a lot of sense. I was able to verify that, indeed, the documents was rife with line-breaks. I copy-pasted it in a new document using "paste as environment" and it fixed the line-breaks and it converted them to end-of-paragraph and then had no issue with font preview.

Thank you :!: