Latest update

General comments and questions. Technical support.
barnowl

Latest update

Post by barnowl »

Why has the "Suggested Saving Documents To" option been removed from the "Options, Load/Save page

This has caused me much trouble until I found that it had been removed from 4.2.0.1

Please put it back
admin
Site Admin

Re: Latest update

Post by admin »

Version 4.2+ automatically suggests saving documents to a location where you last saved a document. You can always choose another recent location from the folder history at the bottom of the "save as" dialog.
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

I am sorry that this has caused Barnowl some inconvenience. I think I know what his work habit was.

But I like the updated method better than the previous one.

I also confess that I had never noticed the Folders option at the bottom of the Save As dialog. That really makes the saving process easier.
patr

Post by patr »

Since this thread was called "Latest update" and my issue was rather minor, I thought I'd post it here rather than making a new thread (even if it is off-topic).

Up to version 4.1.6.5 of Atlantis, whenever I hit "space" after typing a dash ( - ), it would automatically convert it into a double or long dash. This has consistently been the behavior for years.

However, since v.4.2.x it no longer does this. Is this a bug or was this intended? And if the latter, why? And if intentional, how can I get back the original behavior? Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Will be fixed in 4.0.2.2. Thanks for reporting.
patr

Post by patr »

Thank you.

I also had a couple of instances where I entered a beginning quotation mark " and it automatically created a space behind it. It also did this at the second/end mark. I tried to replicate it after it happened a few times and at that point wasn't able to. Perhaps double-check this also for next release. Thank you!
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

I'm also experiencing quotation mark issue, as encounted by patr.
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Interesting about the issue of the opening quote.

I have the same problem. I am able to reproduce it 100% of the time.

I am using the US-International keyboard, but that does not seem to have anything to do with the matter. The keystrokes work as they should (so that I get ä, á, etc.), but when I use the opening double quote, a space after the opening quote is inserted.

The way the US-International keyboard ordinarily works is like this:

The quote " is a dead key. You type " and nothing appears until you hit another key. If the second key is a vowel, you get things like ë, ü. If the second key is just the Spacebar, you get the " on the screen (but no space following the ").

But following the proper procedure, as above, inserts a space after the opening double quote.

The computer that I am using is an old one, with Windows 7 on it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Versions 4.2.0.0 and 4.2.0.1 have issues with non-ASCII content within the AutoCorrect settings generated by older versions of Atlantis.
If you update a pre-4.2 version of Atlantis to version 4.2.0.0 or 4.2.0.1, then launch the updated version, and close it without invoking any AutoCorrect operation (by typing text, or opening the "Tools | AutoCorrect Options..." dialog), the non-ASCII items within the AutoCorrect settings might become corrupted.

These issues will be addressed in version 4.2.0.2. But to make sure that your AutoCorrect settings are OK, you can review them in the “Tools | AutoCorrect Options...” dialog, and make corrections if needed. If you get unexpected extra spaces when you type double quotes, it is a good sign that the AutoCorrect settings need to be revised. You may also wish to click the “Rules...” button in the "AutoCorrect Options” dialog, and paste the following strings to the edit boxes of the dialog:

Code: Select all

— – " # $ ( < = > [ \ { | € „ … “ ™ © « ®

— – ! " % ) , . : ; < > ? \ ] | } ‚ … ” ™ © ® »
We apologize for the inconvenience.
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Hmm, not sure that I understand that at all.

But in "AutoCorrect Options" I turned off "Smart Space Management", and everything works fine. I will just go with that fix until the next update is released.
patr

Post by patr »

I installed 4.2.0.2, keeping my Atlantis settings from previous install. I am still experiencing the short dash not converting to long dash, as well as the extra space regarding quotation marks. I then read Admin's comment and went to Tools -> Autocorrect while I had a document open and the Atlantis instance (sort of) froze. It keeps going back and forth in the body of the open text to suggest a correction (?) of an extra space after a quotation mark, but I can't get anything to respond so it's just hanging in this animated suggestion loop. So I'm going to have to force-close it from Task Manager. Weird! I'm working on a document so I'm going to revert to 4.1.6.5 for now until some of this is ironed out. Sorry!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Switching back and forth between 4.2 and pre-4.2 is not a good idea because the settings data generated by 4.2 is not backward-compatible with pre-4.2. The new version uses UTF-8 for its settings, the pre-4.2 versions use ANSI.

The AutoCorrect-related issues in 4.2.0.0 and 4.2.0.1 were caused by an incorrect ANSI-to-UTF conversion of "old settings" in some cases. This led to corruption of non-ASCII items of the AutoCorrect settings.
If you have the latest version of Atlantis, you can launch a test copy of Atlantis with factory settings (the “Tools | Factory Settings...” menu command). If it works correctly, the problem is with the current settings. In this case, you can choose the “Tools | AutoCorrect Options...” (not “Tools | AutoCorrect...”) menu command, and revise the settings (see my previous post above about the “smart space management” options).
patr

Post by patr »

Just to recap, I have installed Atlantis 4.2.0.2 several times on a clean system, no remnants of previous Atlantis settings present. I then went ahead and configured everything according to my preferences. Several times, over several installs, I had the quotation mark spacing issue. It appears to be working for now (fingers crossed). But it keeps generating all kinds of Autocorrect settings in the registry (not there at first). Just captured a few on my current install:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Atlantis Word Processor\Autocorrect\10]
"Flags"=dword:7fffffff
"AllowQuotes"=dword:00000001
"Quotes"=dword:00000000
"SepL"="#$(*+-/=@[^_{~€„“«"
"SepR"="!%)*+,-./:;?@]^_}~‚”»"
"TwoSentSpcs"=dword:00000001
"NonbrSpcs"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Atlantis Word Processor\Autocorrect\12]
"Flags"=dword:7ffffffd
"Quotes"=dword:00000001
"SepL"="#(*+-/=@[^_{~„“"
"SepR"=")*+,-./;=@]^_}~‚”"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Atlantis Word Processor\Autocorrect\16]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Atlantis Word Processor\Autocorrect\19]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Atlantis Word Processor\Autocorrect\9]
There is something weird going on with all this. I never touched these settings at all, I did not customize them. Why did it have a spacing issue with quotation marks in the first place when no previous settings were there (clean VM)? Something is not right here, and something is certainly not straight forward. Now it's generating all these divergent SepL/R settings in registry. This doesn't have anything to do with old settings getting improperly converted. Then how did I experience the quotation mark spacing issue anyway? Like I said it's working correctly right now, and with these divergent registry settings. No idea how or why, or why it failed before. I think this needs more testing and perhaps also testing 4.2.0.2-generated backup .ini's getting converted to registry settings. I think something is off.

Also, why can't there be an option that reads settings ONLY from Atlantis.ini (like from prog dir root or something)? This way you could choose to load settings either from .ini or from registry upon program startup. The way it is now, registry is required (unless one does USB option which I'm not interested in). Since activation folder/files are elsewhere anyway (and thus unaffected), why can't there be the option to use either registry OR .ini file for settings? It would seem the next logical step after the change to place one's doc/template folders in a custom directory with v4.1.6 (the latter, by the way, you can't place in Atlantis' program files dir, since that would require elevation of privileges which Atlantis doesn't have by default -- certainly an oversight?).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your capture above corresponds to the default settings of Atlantis.

If something works incorrectly, you can always launch a test copy of Atlantis with factory settings to make sure that the current behavior is not linked to your current settings of Atlantis (use the “Tools | Factory Settings...” menu command).

If you prefer to work with INI files, you can use the corresponding command-line parameters:

1. The following command-line instructs Atlantis to load/save settings from/to <Atlantis user files location>Atlantis.ini:

<home folder of Atlantis>awp.exe /lsi /ssi
2. The following command-line instructs Atlantis to load/save settings from/to a specific INI file:

<home folder of Atlantis>awp.exe /lsi /ssi /sfn "D:\My Settings.ini"
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

The culprit, for me at least, is the Auto-correct option 'Replace "quotes" with " ". Deselecting gets rid of the issue, but of course also gets rid of the nice curly quotation marks in favour of boring straight ones!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You do not need to uncheck the "Replace quotes..." option. Please click the "Rules..." button of the "Tools | AutoCorrect Options..." dialog, delete the contents of the first edit box, and paste the following text instead:

— – " # $ ( < = > [ \ { | € „ … “ ™ © « ®

Then clear the second edit box, and paste the following text:

— – ! " % ) , . : ; < > ? \ ] | } ‚ … ” ™ © ® »

OK out of the open dialogs.

This is how this dialog is supposed to look by default:

Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

Thanks, admin, that worked; much appreciated - this must be the most responsive support in the business!
patr

Post by patr »

1. The following command-line instructs Atlantis to load/save settings from/to <Atlantis user files location>Atlantis.ini:
<home folder of Atlantis>awp.exe /lsi /ssi
OMG, how foolish I was so suppose Atlantis did not already have this feature! :oops: And it works great and fast. Thank you!!! Confirmed that it does not create registry entries when using these arguments/command line instructions. I did not think it was possible to love Atlantis even more, but I was wrong.
patr

Post by patr »

Hold on, now I can't open an associated .rtf or .docx or whatever from double-clicking file itself, or it won't load Atlantis.ini preferences... That is not a solution. Most of the time, Atlantis gets started by double-clicking an existing document one has worked on.

I want Atlantis to always use the .ini file, regardless of how it gets started. Is this not possible? (If not currently possible, I would like to suggest a registry entry that directs Atlantis to load the .ini (as it reverts to registry in absence of instruction to use .ini) -- or something that makes this possible. Perhaps another small file like "portable" in the program and/or documents dir, the presences of which would instruct Atlantis to load using 'Atlantis.ini.')
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If Atlantis is associated with a certain document type in your system, every time you double-click a file of this type, Windows executes the following command-line:

<home folder of Atlantis>awp.exe "%1"

You can use the regedit utility of Windows to search for all instances of

<home folder of Atlantis>awp.exe "%1"

and replace them with

<home folder of Atlantis>awp.exe "%1" -lsi -ssi

Adjusting the following Registry key alone would be probably sufficient if it exists in your Registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rtf_auto_file\shell\open\command