How to reset font format without losing italics and bold?

General comments and questions. Technical support.
JPh1

How to reset font format without losing italics and bold?

Post by JPh1 »

I have an imported document with all sorts of styles in it. I want to remove those styles to keep it simple. So I use Reset Font Format, and now the document is in my default Normal font.

The problem is that all italics and bold are gone.

Is there a way to Reset the font format while keeping those?
Robert

Post by Robert »

First, note that the Atlantis Reveal formatting panel lists all unused styles and offers to remove all of them. You can also remove them one by one.

If, as is usual, your Normal style does not include bold and/or italic in its properties, resetting the font format (Ctrl+Space) of a paragraph associated with the Normal style will remove all bold and/or italic formatting from that paragraph.

If all italics and bold are gone when you apply the Normal style to all the paragraphs, this means that the italic and bold formatting was due to the application of non–Normal dedicated styles. You cannot have it both ways: remove styles, and hope that their associated properties will still apply.
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

I understand the logic of losing formatting when resetting it, but I'm still looking for a simple way to reformat a document with the Normal style without losing italics and such.

Deleting extraneous styles using the reveal panel is too slow (there are over 25 styles in this imported document).

Including bold and italics in the default Normal style properties looks promising. How do I do that?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you are concerned with a specific formatting type (italic, bold, etc), here is what I can suggest:

1. Use the Find/Replace tool to find & select all fragments formatted with, let's say, italic.

2. "Lock the selection" using the Selection panel of the Control Board.

3. Reset the document formatting in desired way.

4. Click any of the locked selections in the Selection panel of the Control Board, and press Ctrl+A to highlight all the locked selections, then click the "Reselect locked fragment" button of the Selection panel.

5. Apply italics to the document selection.

If you need to preserve multiple formatting types, there would be additional steps between the above steps #2 and #3.

The Reveal formatting panel of the Control Board is also a good tool for this task. If you uncheck the "Report only direct formatting" box of the "Reveal formatting" panel, you could easily reset individual formatting types, no matter how many styles you have in your document.
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

Thanks, those are good suggestions. I had forgotten about Selections (which I thought originally could be used to create something like Scrivener's Collections).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you need to preserve multiple formatting types, there would be additional steps between the above steps #2 and #3.
Forget about this. The Selection panel can be used to preserve only one formatting type. Sorry.

I think that the "Reveal formatting" tool is the best choice for this task.