Access Violation

General comments and questions. Technical support.
patr

Access Violation

Post by patr »

I've been using Atlantis for a long time, but every now and then the program just clunks out and I have to reinstall it.

What starts happening is it errors out giving a "access violation" error. I knew where Atlantis stores its various files like ProgramData and AppData locations, so I wanted to see what file could be causing it to error out.

The way I went about doing this was deleting the various files in above locations until Atlantis would start up without error message again. It kept erroring out every time I tried to start it (either via starting up an associated file or starting up the program directly from shortcut), until I removed "awp.dat" in AppData\Roaming.

After I removed the above file, Atlantis started up normally again. My opinion is that this persistent (but strangely irregular) error is due to the awp.dat file somehow getting corrupted by Atlantis as it uses it. I don't know if Atlantis writes to this file or not, but as soon as I deleted that file Atlantis started normally (albeit without activation).

I mainly run Windows 7 x64, and this issue has come and gone quite a few times and over many fresh OS installs. I've tried to uninstall anything I thought could be interfering, and also killed some running processes I thought might be interfering, but nothing helped until I deleted awp.dat. There is something amiss here, no other program I use has such a problem. But Atlantis has had it many times over various Windows installs. This has been my experience.

I ended up making my personal installer for it so I can just double-click and overwrite and corrupted files and that fixes it also. But eventually I have this error again.

I hope this will finally get fixed properly.

Thanks,

patr
patr

Post by patr »

However, what is weird about it, is when I try to restore the old AppData files, I couldn't recreate the issue. But it definitely went away as soon as I deleted awp.dat.

It could be a combination of files from ProgramData and AppData being deleted, that made it so when I restored the AppData ones but other files at ProgramData were not there, that the error somehow resolved.

This is what makes this persistent error so elusive. It definitely has happened to me many times. I maintain updated images from Win7 to Win10, have all runtimes installed -- there are no botched OS installs on my end. I'm saying the OS situation couldn't be much better than it is and yet this error happens.

Something is amiss.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Deleting or modifying system files of Atlantis is not recommended.

If Atlantis displays an error when trying to open a document file, please email us that document file.

Otherwise please launch a "factory settings" copy of Atlantis by running the following command-line:

"C:\Program Files\Atlantis\awp.exe" -dls -dss

or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlantis\awp.exe" -dls -dss

If it works correctly, the error is probably linked to your current Atlantis settings.
patr

Post by patr »

To be clear:

Atlantis has manifested this behavior both when merely opening the application itself (not via opening a document), as well as when opening a document. It is not any document that causes this in my case, in other words. I've never been able to reproduce the error merely by means of any document.

In my experience it is only erroring out on a document when starting up Atlantis by itself is producing the error. In other words, I've never had it error out on a document, but then the application itself starting up correctly. It is starting up the application (not via a document) that is associated with the error.

Again, in deleting program files one by one, it was only once I removed awp.dat that the error resolved (which may or may not be pertinent to the issue).

If indeed any such files containing settings, etc., would be corrupting or causing this not infrequent error, and given the fact that customizing the Atlantis interface is not something you'd want to be doing time and time again (I have it set up the way I want and am now accustomed to; it takes a long time to customize it that way), in that case I would recommend Atlantis produce a simple settings files that cannot corrupt that can simply be exported and imported. Or is there such a function that I'm not aware of?

To give many customization options that then can't be backed up or imported properly (when customizing the interface, etc., takes a long time to do) does not seem like a good idea. And if it is a simple settings file that can also be read (like an .ini file or something like that) then that would be helpful.

I guess, therefore, that the only thing I can do is do a fresh install having removed all previous settings. Then go through the arduous process of recreating the UI customizations and other desired defaults, then not saving or backing up these settings, so that in the future I should go through all that again. This does not sound like a good solution. If indeed it is old, grandfathered-in settings that cause the error (which yes, I do install as not to have to reconfigure Atlantis each time on fresh OS install), then it sure doesn't explain why it can function for a month without any issue, and then suddenly start erroring out. I then reinstall with the same settings and it goes away again. Until it comes back. Something is not right here and my previous configurations shouldn't be able to make Atlantis fail to start over time. Something is not right about this.
patr

Post by patr »

I've been customizing the toolbar for an hour now and not even halfway done.
Robert

Post by Robert »

It seems that you are running round and round in circles installing, then uninstalling, then reinstalling Atlantis. It can only lead to frustration.
Tampering with the internal system files of Atlantis or any other application is most unadvisable unless you really know what you are doing, which is obviously not the case.

I suggest that you completely uninstall Atlantis from your Windows system. If necessary, delete all of the Atlantis own system files manually. Remove all traces of Atlantis from your system.

Then, and only then, reinstall Atlantis through the normal standard procedure (Setup file of Atlantis Word Processor 4.1.3.4).
You will have to reenter your registration information, and reconfigure Atlantis to your liking.

When this is done, you can easily save your current Atlantis configuration with the "Save to File…" button located at the bottom of the "Tools | Options…" dialog:

The "Load from File" button will allow you to restore your Atlantis settings if necessary in the future.

HTH
Robert
patr

Post by patr »

Amazing how that is so obvious to you, since that is the method I used in the beginning when Atlantis got the redesigned interface. Only because I started experiencing the access violation error did I take it upon myself to save the actual files to replace them as that restores those settings, too. I just forgot it was indeed in .ini format.

I don't know what you consider tampering with system files or even Atlantis files, but anyone with a passing understanding of operating systems and programs would not make such a leap in statement based on what I said. The access violation was not *because* I did anything, it was Atlantis corrupting files over time. I tried both restoring via loading the config, and when that didn't fix the issue I resorted to placing the pertinent files in their locations manually (or through unattended method).

So please don't conflate what I said about the process of narrowing down upon which file Atlantis failed with Atlantis failing in the first place, which is an entirely different matter of course.

I will reinstall Atlantis with the command switches provided and not restore via loading presets nor use my own secondary method this time around when re-configuring everything, as these methods sooner or later give me the access violation errors. So I'll manually set everything and again save, again backup actual files also, and see what happens going forward. It should not give an access violation, period. It is the program doing this, not a document. More precisely, it is a configuration file that causes Atlantis to crash. Why it gets corrupted in the first place, I guess I'll never know.
Robert

Post by Robert »

"awp.dat" is not an Atlantis "configuration file". It is a proprietary internal file meant "for Atlantis-eyes-only". End-users are not supposed to modify or remove, then reinstate that file haphazardly with their "own personal installer". In doing so, you are tampering with the normal natural functioning of Atlantis. It can only lead to corruption. There is nothing to be fixed regarding "awp.dat". Just leave it alone. It will take care of itself.

The only "configuration file" you should care about is the "Atlantis.ini" file created through the "Tools | Options…" dialog.

"Access Violation" do happen with Atlantis, but they happen very infrequently, and they are always linked to a specific chain of commands, most of the time with specific documents, and a particular configuration.

When this happens on your system, don’t tamper with any of the Atlantis proprietary internal files. Just send a bug report and your current "configuration file" ("Atlantis.ini") to "support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com", describing steps to reproduce the problem. You will spare yourself a lot of aggravation.
patr

Post by patr »

I understand what apw.dat is and does -- if you read my post closely you would see that, too, but I didn't want to indicate all too publicly what it did do...

Thanks for acknowledging that access violation errors do occur in Atlantis. In my case, however, they occur when the program loads by itself without opening any document (except perhaps the default new blank document that it loads).

I only started backing up local files to restore from when the access violation error kept occurring. It was merely a quick way to get back to work with all my personal files and settings in place in one click. It was not a recommendation. I would recommend, however, that Atlantis shouldn't throw access violation errors. It should just never do this. Perhaps create a debug option for this issue.
Robert

Post by Robert »

If you get access violation messages just by launching Atlantis, it can only mean that your install of Atlantis is corrupt, or that your current Atlantis settings have hit on a bug. In which case, it would be much wiser to send your current Atlantis configuration file ("Atlantis.ini") to "support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com", with steps to reproduce the problem.

Reinstating Atlantis through your "own personal installer" is the wrong way to go about such problems. It is no wonder access violations keep reoccurring on your system. The outcome could not be otherwise.

Note that your Atlantis personal files should normally be located in "C:\Users\<User’s Name>\Documents\Atlantis\Documents". They shouldn’t normally be affected by problems related to access violations.
patr

Post by patr »

I get what you're saying, however when I started writing this post I was not closing off the possibility that Atlantis itself is crashing. However, I did think it odd that there weren't many more such reports than there are.

But I will start afresh and do as you suggested (exclusively use the .ini file) and if I then still have these access violations, I'll come back to the forum to report it.

I have come across programs that rely on config files like this, but they don't error out beyond usage. Some will make a backup of the old/corrupted .ini file and then create a new one as to keep the program usable. I think things can improve on this issue.

Thanks for all the help!
Robert

Post by Robert »

If there aren’t many crash reports in this forum or elsewhere, it is simply because they happen very rarely:)
patr

Post by patr »

:D
patr

Post by patr »

Wow. Just wow.

After the clean install of Atlantis, getting everything configured, backing up the .ini file, etc., I then sought to uninstall Atlantis. As soon as I did, I got an access violation just trying to uninstall the program...

I'm saying, there is something wrong. Why would it give an access violation upon uninstallation? This is v4.1.3.4.
Attachments
access_violation.png
access_violation.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 14780 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Possibly the error is linked to your current Atlantis configuration.
Could you please email your INI file to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com ?
patr

Post by patr »

I've emailed the .ini file to you. To note, this .ini file is based on a clean install of Atlantis; I then configured the application as I wanted and saved the .ini file. I then uninstalled Atlantis and this is when the access violation error occurred.

Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the INI file. But we cannot reproduce errors under your INI file.

If you have a memory flash drive, please do the following:

1. Connect the memory flash drive to your computer.

2. Use the setup file of Atlantis to install Atlantis to the memory flash drive (specify a folder on the removable drive as the destination folder).

3. Copy your INI file to the home folder of Atlantis on the flash drive.

4. Launch Atlantis from the flash drive.

Do you still get errors in your portable copy of Atlantis?
patr

Post by patr »

Okay, I will do as you suggested and report back.

Meanwhile I'd like to say that I also can't reproduce it just with that .ini file. But since no other modifications were put in place than the configurations of the settings and UI at this point (as recorded in the .ini file) it couldn't be any factor other than what is Atlantis is doing. I noticed uninstalling Atlantis calls the awp.exe file (shows in Task Manager), so when uninstalling, awp.exe gets run. (Or it couldn't error out, I imagine. I don't know whether something goes awry with a memory space awp inhabits or allocates or what.)

This is something that either happens over time or else irregularly so this is why I have never been able to willfully reproduce it via any settings or documents. Hence I say it's "elusive."

Will report back with the flash drive test.
Robert

Post by Robert »

patr wrote:I've emailed the .ini file to you. To note, this .ini file is based on a clean install of Atlantis; I then configured the application as I wanted and saved the .ini file. I then uninstalled Atlantis and this is when the access violation error occurred.
First thing that came to my mind was "why on earth would anybody want to uninstall an application immediately after having just installed, and configured it?"
But it obviously can be done. So why not do it? If only to make a point!

Now your screen capture seems to imply that you tried to uninstall Atlantis when there was still an instance of Atlantis running on your system: the 2 dialogs in your screen capture are spawned by Atlantis, and the access violation can only happen if there is a running instance of Atlantis.
I did not have Windows 7 to test this. I tested it in Windows 10 (with all latest updates). I left Atlantis running and tried to remove it through the standard Windows procedure. This is most unadvisable. But obviously, some people will inevitably try to do it.
So I went ahead with the uninstall. I got this:

I closed the running instance of Atlantis 4.1.3.4, and clicked on the Uninstall button again. I got this:

So it was impossible for me to uninstall Atlantis without closing any running instance of Atlantis first. How was it possible for you? It baffles me!

I clicked on the “Yes” button in the above dialog and got this:

No access violation!
patr

Post by patr »

Robert, I can see you have somewhat of a chip on your shoulder and that is okay. But rather than try to eviscerate my findings by mere logic and your own experience, you might try to adopt the attitude of trying to figure out what is going on in these instances of access violations and perhaps, in addition, why Atlantis throws these in the first place. (And does it in such a crippling manner -- see points I made above for suggestions.)

If your point was that a person should not uninstall Atlantis after configuring as to prevent access violation errors, again I find you on the wrong side of this issue. It is the opposite of constructive.

I also just explained that uninstalling Atlantis calls awp.exe into action, so again you're off regarding the issue at hand.

I can do what you did above as well (installing, uninstalling, etc). I just did it ten times. This thread is not about when it works as it should. It is about when it doesn't. And why it throws access violation errors in various scenarios, however un-reproducable we might find them. Programmatic errors often don't manifest on schedule, you know.

I think it is more helpful if we whittle down the useless responses of which there have been enough now, and try to figure out why those access violation errors occur.