Rotate text vertical

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Franklinr

Rotate text vertical

Post by Franklinr »

I am putting a map full page in my book and to make it larger it is sideways on the page. I want to place the caption under the map and need the text to be vertical.
Books by Franklin Reid on Amazon
Robert

Post by Robert »

You cannot rotate text in Atlantis, but you can edit your picture in a graphic editor like Paint 3D, add text sideways, and rotate it appropriately.
HTH
Robert
rstroud

No vertical text, but ...

Post by rstroud »

Robert is, of course, correct. You cannot do vertical text in Atlantis. The use of a graphic is a good workaround, except that if you are going to publish a hard copy, the graphic rendering of text (the the caption) could be suboptimal.

If you want to publish an ebook in Kindle or epub format, I do not even know if vertical text is supported. And, even if it is, I would not recommend using it, because the various devices for ebooks are not consistent or reliable in how they render things. Vertical text might be a little too much for them. I do not know.

For an ebook in Kindle or epub format, using a graphic is probably your only good option.

However, I checked your books on Amazon. I see that they are available as paperbacks. If you are providing PDF files for publishing those, you can create a page for your map and its caption in the FREE drawing/page-layout program Inkscape. You can import your map graphic and then create your caption text, put it wherever you want it, and rotate it to the vertical. When you save in Inkscape format (.svg), the text is not converted to a bitmap (as it is in a paint program).

You then save your Inkscape file to PDF. The text will print out with excellent resolution and legibility even at a small font size. I made my business card in Inkscape, with some small type, sent it to a print service, and the result was fantastic.

You can then insert the PDF page into your main PDF (the book). You can do this with various PDF programs that are inexpensive or maybe free. This messes up your page numbering, but you can omit the page number or give it a number like 14A.

The following is a graphic, not a PDF. I am assuming that you want to do something like this:

NOTE: If that image did not come through, it is because I have never understood how to include a graphic from my computer (as opposed to a website). My apologies.
rstroud

Let's try the graphic again

Post by rstroud »

Maybe this will do it:
Attachments
HorusWithCaptionVertical.png
HorusWithCaptionVertical.png (675.28 KiB) Viewed 2504 times