Tiny arrows at the first of each heading

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Franklinr

Tiny arrows at the first of each heading

Post by Franklinr »

Here I am getting these tiny arrows in front of headings 1,2, and 3. I've tried to delete them but they're locked there.
Attachments
TINY ARROWS.jpg
TINY ARROWS.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
Books by Franklin Reid on Amazon
rstroud

The "arrow" in question

Post by rstroud »

The arrow is a tab symbol. You have the codes turned on for display. Nothing is wrong with the display.

You are not formatting correctly. It looks as if you have tried to use tabs to center things and also a line break (Shift+Enter instead of just Enter).

To format properly, you should not use tabs to line things up manually.

Edit the Heading styles to be what you want. You can also create your own Heads. I do not even use the Heading 1, 2, 3 stuff.

This is a complicated subject which I cannot explain here.
rstroud

A little more on your format

Post by rstroud »

I have been doing this kind of thing for thirty years.

Just an example:

Create a style called "TITLE LINE 1". Select the font and font size. Select CENTER for your alignment.

Then create a style called "TITLE LINE 2". Select CENTER for the alignment. Put about 14 points for the space above the paragraph (you can edit the style as needed and reapply it).

After you enter a line of text with TITLE LINE 1, hit Enter and enter the next line with TITLE LINE 2.

Maybe you know all this stuff already. My apologies if you already know what to do.
Robert

Re: Tiny arrows at the first of each heading

Post by Robert »

Franklinr wrote:Here I am getting these tiny arrows in front of headings 1,2, and 3. I've tried to delete them but they're locked there.
It seems your Heading styles are formatted as list items with no text followed by tabs.
Modify the Heading styles so that they are no longer associated with any list formatting (“No list”).
HTH
Robert
Franklinr

Post by Franklinr »

Robert wrote:
Franklinr wrote:Here I am getting these tiny arrows in front of headings 1,2, and 3. I've tried to delete them but they're locked there.
It seems your Heading styles are formatted as list items with no text followed by tabs.
Modify the Heading styles so that they are no longer associated with any list formatting (“No list”).
HTH
Robert
Where will I find the place to do this?
Franklinr

Re: A little more on your format

Post by Franklinr »

rstroud wrote:I have been doing this kind of thing for thirty years.

Just an example:

Create a style called "TITLE LINE 1". Select the font and font size. Select CENTER for your alignment.

Then create a style called "TITLE LINE 2". Select CENTER for the alignment. Put about 14 points for the space above the paragraph (you can edit the style as needed and reapply it).

After you enter a line of text with TITLE LINE 1, hit Enter and enter the next line with TITLE LINE 2.

Maybe you know all this stuff already. My apologies if you already know what to do.
rstroud, This doesn't appear in any other file. I'm an author with many books in-work and this problem only appears in this file.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Where will I find the place to do this?
Here are the steps:
1. Click “Format | Style…”
2. In the “Style” dialog, select the “Heading 1” style.
3. Click the “Modify…” button.
4. In the “Edit Style” dialog, click the “List…” button.
5. In the “List” dialog, click to select the (No list) button, and click the Up arrow button to load the highlighted (No list) format:
6. OK out of all open dialogs.
7. Repeat same steps with the “Heading 2” and “Heading 3” styles.
Franklinr

Post by Franklinr »

Robert, Yes that worked. Thank you.
rstroud

The tab arrow

Post by rstroud »

Glad you solved the problem!