Very slow response to AutoHotkey word replacement

General comments and questions. Technical support.
JPh1

Very slow response to AutoHotkey word replacement

Post by JPh1 »

I use AutoHotyey to automatically replace words when I type. Those so-called hotstrings are very handy for someone like me who type accented words in French on a US keyboard (eg. superieure --> supérieure).

On most programs (Word, Notepad), the replacement is very fast, almost imperceptible.

On Atlantis, on the other hand, it's very slow. You see the word being retyped letter by letter.

Is there a reason why that is?
Robert

Post by Robert »

JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

Because my AutoHotkey script, curated over the years, contains thousands of hotstrings. AHK also allows the use of rules for groups of words, contextualization, etc.

The question here is really why Atlantis is so slow to respond to AHK, a very popular, free scripting language for Windows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you have comments from the developers of AHK?
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

Do you have comments from the developers of AHK?
I don't know how to reach the AHK developers, but one folk on the AHK Forum quoted the AWP doc
Some of the Atlantis AutoCorrect functions are still unheard-of in today's top-end word processors. Texts are proofread in the background "As-You-Type", or, optionally, when typing is complete.
and suggested I turn off "Autocorrect as you type". But I did, to no effect.

Then he sent this:
"It may just be that it acts on each key in its buffer before allowing the next one to be “typed” and even with that particular feature turned off, it’s time-consuming for it to do everything else it does. Perhaps a question to their support could provide an answer. I imagine you’re not the first one who has tried to use word replacement tools of one sort or another with their software."
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

It works better now, for some reason. Sometimes it's slower, curiously, but at the moment the word replacement is comparable to that in Notepad or Word.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe it's your antivirus or firewall?
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

There is definitely something going on there with AHK hotstrings replacement.

I made those 2 recordings showing the words rome and florence being replaced with Rome and Florence. The 2 files have the same text in them, yet the second one is more responsive to AHK than the first.

I'd be happy to try providing more info.
Attachments
Faster response to AHK
Faster response to AHK
AWP2.gif (46.58 KiB) Viewed 6335 times
Slow response to AHK
Slow response to AHK
AWP1.gif (56.5 KiB) Viewed 6335 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are both documents marked as belonging to same language?

You can post both document files to this forum thread, or email them to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

Thanks for the prompt response. I've sent the 2 files, both in French language.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the files. They are nearly identical. There is a floating picture at the end of the "slow" document (by the way, there is no point in using the "tight" wrapping style for that picture - the simpler "square" wrapping style would be OK in your case). Well, I do not know if it matters. But paginating documents with floating pictures is always a little bit slower. I cannot notice any slowdowns on my system. But maybe your system is significantly slower than mine. What if you apply the "square" wrapping style to that picture? Or delete it altogether?
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

Applying the Square wrapping to the Clip image doesn't change anything, but deleting it makes the problem go away.

When it comes to AHK string replacement, AWP is still slower than Notepad for instance, or Word. Is there some AWP setting that would speed up AHK, other than no image?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atlantis Word Processor has no AHK-related settings. Sorry.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you sure that the problem is linked to AHK? If adding a floating picture to the document creates those delays, maybe the document pagination in Atlantis on your system is extremely slow? Please try typing "florence" in your "slow" document as quickly as possible. Are there any delays? Or you have delays only when text gets inserted through AHK? By the way, what does the popup hint of the "Undo" toolbar button of Atlantis say after an AHK replacement: "Undo text input" or "Undo paste"?
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

Thanks for following up. I wish I'd seen your message sooner but it ended up in my Spam folder for some reason.

The Undo popup says "text input".

It is perhaps a tad slower for me to type 'florence' in my slow document than it is in the fast one. It's hard to say because I don't type very fast anyway.

I was trying to understand what pagination is and how it works. My system has 10GB RAM, so it's not that slow. In Scrivener, the string replacement is so fast I barely see it (and I have lots of images in that project).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can simply open the "slow" document in Atlantis, then press and hold any key. How many characters get inserted to the document per second?
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

I pressed the same letter during 5 seconds in both documents, repeated several times. It looks about the same.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If characters get "repeated" in your "slow" document according to the "repeat rate" (can be adjusted through the Keyboard Properties of the Windows Control Panel), the problem is not with the slow Atlantis pagination on your system. In this case, there must be another bottleneck in between AHK and Atlantis.
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

admin wrote:If characters get "repeated" in your "slow" document according to the "repeat rate"
From what I can tell, it does. If other tests come to mind please let me know.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you try AHK + Atlantis on another computer?