Crash Report, Identically Named Files

General comments and questions. Technical support.
wood.22mark

Crash Report, Identically Named Files

Post by wood.22mark »

Atlantis hung, displayed an AWP error code and did not back up either of the documents I had been working on for an hour or more. I think I know why. Both documents were named identically, except that they had different folders. I had saved the file to an incorrect folder and was trying to determine what the differences were between documents.

As a workaround, I renamed the duplicate file by adding a 1 to the title. That seemed to fix the buggy program.

Your competitor, WordPerfect, a program from 1990, had a feature which compared two documents and displayed the difference, automating the process I am doing manually. I genuinely miss that feature.

The purpose of this post is:
1. to inform your dev team of a bug that can be eliminated.
2. to inform other users that this bug will cause troubles but is easily avoided.
3. to beg, plead, and whine, wishing for a feature to be added to Atlantis Word Processor.
4. to thank you guys profusely for the amazing product I use every day!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is the error reproducible?
wood.22mark

Buggy program when two identically named files are active

Post by wood.22mark »

Yes, the error is repeatable, as is the workaround of editing the name of one of the duplicate files.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So what are the instructions to reproduce the error (the crash)?
wood.22mark

Post by wood.22mark »

Step one: make a document. Give it a name, for instance doc1. Step 2: make another document. Give it an identical name but save it in a different folder. I do this by accident or design. Sometimes I save a document in my Reference folder when I meant to save it in Library. Every time, I save each document in its working folder but also save it in my Backup folder. This way, after an hour or 12 hours of working with multiple files, I know which files to back up. Step 3: open both documents at the same and edit them. It helps if the documents are large. I do this to compare documents if they don’t have same size and similar date/time of saving. Often, the cursor gets jittery and the command line blanks and fills in many times per second as I try to save (for instance). The computer gets slow. It affects other programs. It may be related to also having a full autobackup folder. I get that notice often. Step 4 is the fix: Rename one of the documents and save it. No more blinky blinky.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I suppose the "AWP error" (mentioned in your first post above) is not reproducible.
Often, the cursor gets jittery and the command line blanks and fills in many times per second as I try to save (for instance).
Atlantis does not have a command line. You probably mean the status bar.

Thanks for the details. We will try to reproduce this behavior.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Backup Files feature of Atlantis cannot reliably create backups of multiple identically named documents. This is because the backup folder for a given document includes only its filename not the full path.
Often, the cursor gets jittery and the command line blanks and fills in many times per second as I try to save (for instance). The computer gets slow. It affects other programs.
This particular problem will be fixed in any next release of Atlantis Word Processor. Thank you.
wood.22mark

Post by wood.22mark »

It was reproducible, at will. I uninstalled AWP and reinstalled it. The problem remained, except that I no longer got the awp error message. My guess is that I no longer had a full backup folder. Didn’t get those messages, either. Um, yes. Status bar. I mailed my computer in to get the keyboard fixed. Warranty. So I am operating from what I remember. Thank you!