Text files with accents

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Eduardo

Text files with accents

Post by Eduardo »

Hi,

I have some text files written in Portuguese. When I import them in Atlantis for editing purposes, all the accents are replaced with garble. Atlantis doesn't give me the option to import the files with UTF-8 encoding, which preserves the accents like é, cão, açorda, etc.

Is there a way to overcome this?

Thanks.
Eduardo

----

Time is the essence of emptiness.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Which format are these files? Which extension? .txt, .doc, .rtf, .docx?
What do you mean by “I import them in Atlantis”? Do you use “Insert | File…” as a command? Or do you open the file in Atlantis first, then copy/paste part of it into a new Atlantis document?
Could you please post a sample file or an excerpt of it?
Eduardo

Post by Eduardo »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am sorry I wasn't very explicit. The files have the "txt" extension (with UTF-8 encoding in order to preserve the Latin accents)

Either through Open file or Import file, the results are the same: the accented letters are replaced with garble.

When I use the Import file command and choose the file with txt extension, Atlantis doesn't prompt me to choose the format of the file. In my case would be UTF-8. Word, for example, does that.

I am including two files.

One is the screenshot of the original; the second is the exported file opened with Atlantis.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.
Attachments
Capture_!.PNG
Capture_!.PNG (32.82 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Capture_2.PNG
Capture_2.PNG (35.81 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Eduardo

----

Robert

Post by Robert »

Eduardo, I suggested posting one of your text files, not a screen capture!
I went to Auto da eleição do rei D. João I, de 6 de Abril de 1385, selected the main text, and copied it with right-click and Ctrl+C. I then pasted the clipboard contents into a new Atlantis text document [“File | New > Plain Text (TXT)”]. I got the text file attached to this post. It displays correctly in Atlantis (with the Portuguese accented characters).
Again, could you please post a sample document or an excerpt of it?
Attachments
Auto da eleição do rei D. João I.txt
(18.12 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Eduardo

Post by Eduardo »

Hi Robert,

I appreciate your efforts. Thank you.

In fact, the file (text) produced by Atlantis did preserve the accents nicely. The file from the other application, however, doesn't open correctly in Atlantis. I am including the file here for your evaluation.

Thank you.
Attachments
Biblioteca.txt
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Eduardo

----

Robert

Post by Robert »

Your file encoding is UTF-8 w/o BOM. You need to convert it to the ANSI encoding.
In Windows 10, you simply need to open the file in Notepad and resave it with the ANSI encoding. At the bottom of the “Save As” dialog, you have a drop-down allowing you to choose which encoding you want to save your file to. Choose ANSI.
You could also use the free Notepad++ editor (Notepad++ 7.8.6 release). In Notepad++, the command to use is “Encoding | Convert to ANSI”.
You could use Codepage Converter too. It is free.
HTH
Robert
Eduardo

Post by Eduardo »

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Your suggestions solved my problem.

Have a good day.

E.
Eduardo

----