Headers not showing in docx

General comments and questions. Technical support.
robstreats

Post by robstreats »

Am using Win 10 Pro v.18363.592 & Atlantis WP v. 3.3.3.1

When opening a docx, the header (except for one small graphic) is not showing on any of the 3 pages. Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.
Robert

Post by Robert »

If the headers have already been created (View | Header & Footer), they should be displaying.
Take a look at the Sections panel of the Control Board. Is there anything untoward or unexpected in the properties shown in the Headers/Footers sub-topic?
What happens if you select one of the headers and apply an automatic or a black font color?
robstreats

Post by robstreats »

Thank you Robert for the quick response. I can see nothing untoward in the 'Sections' panel; when I try to type in what is missing, it appears as new but at the bottom of the header and when I press enter for new line it moves up but so does the one small graphic (a Lions Logo).
The file was originally created some time ago in MS Office/Word and displays correctly in the current version 2019 of Word.
Robert

Post by Robert »

It does happen that a white font color is applied to the text of a header, in which case it becomes invisible. Have you checked that possibility?
What is displaying if you click “View | Special Symbols”? Are there line breaks, paragraph breaks before the picture?
If the file was originally created in Word 2019, the picture in the header might be included and anchored within a text box. Atlantis does not yet support text boxes.
It would help if you sent a sample document illustrating this problem to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com.
TIA
robstreats

Post by robstreats »

I have tried selecting where the invisible text should be, but there is nothing to select - even when I select 'Font' to bright red, nothing happens. There are no symbols except a para break which also shows up on all of the the main text of the Doc. I cannot attached screen prints as there is sensitive info in all the main text (members details etc.). The png image correctly appears at the left hand side of the header but when I attempt to add new text, it appears below and to the right of the image and I am unable to align it to the right. My thanks for bearing with me!
Robert

Post by Robert »

You could create screen captures and edit them so that any sensitive information is blurred beyond retrieval. The screen captures should show the Special Symbols (non-printing marks).
You could add the blurring effects in Paint.NET. It is a very good free “image and photo editing software for PCs that run Windows”. You’ll find a complete description on the home page at paint.net.
You’ll find a YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mffhfAVPRXw demonstrating how to blur out part of an image using Paint.net.
Blurring effects can also be added in Photoshop, Paintshop, or the GIMP, if you have any of these applications.

You could also delete all sensitive information from the document itself and send it to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com.
You could also replace all characters belonging to sensitive information with X characters.
HTH
Robert

Post by Robert »

There are no symbols except a para break
If you place the insertion cursor next to that end-of-paragraph mark, does the Paragraph toolbar show it as being right-aligned? Or is it left-aligned?
robstreats

Post by robstreats »

Thank you Robert. One of the Forum members PM'd me suggesting that I save the original docx in Word as an rtf and then open that in Atlantis and this has solved my problem.
I have appreciated your interest and help thank you.
Best wishes
Robert

Post by Robert »

We are glad to hear that your problem was solved. It would help us to know why resaving your document from DOCX to RTF in MS Word was supposed to solve your problem. Did the forum member give you any clue?
TIA
rstroud

The header problem

Post by rstroud »

Hey, I was the one who made the suggestion of saving to RTF and then reopening the file. I was just using intuition, after my 35 years of experience in using software and tinkering with programming.

What I do not know (the original poster did not say) is whether he re-saved the document to DOCX format. It would be interesting to know whether the problem returns in DOCX format.

I avoid RTF. I use only DOCX. I have had no trouble with DOCX in Atlantis, even in complex formatting with lots of styles and with graphics.