New Find/Replace box

General comments and questions. Technical support.
the-silverware

New Find/Replace box

Post by the-silverware »

I just installed the update and this new search panel is so awesome.
This was such a hugely needed complement for Atlantis. Thank you for releasing it!

I would like to suggest another improvement on top of it: why not think of a tool to help people who are not expert with coding to compose advanced search and replace formulas? This is a very advanced feature of Atlantis but it's really complex to use.
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

Have to agree... brilliant new feature, well executed, thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Find/Replace box

Post by admin »

the-silverware wrote:I would like to suggest another improvement on top of it: why not think of a tool to help people who are not expert with coding to compose advanced search and replace formulas?
What type of help do you need?
lynneconnolly

Font too small on control panel

Post by lynneconnolly »

Is there a way of enlarging the font on the control panel? I use a 4k monitor and my laptop has a 4k screen, so the Control Panel, while an awesome feature, is always difficult to use. The font is tiny. I can alter the size of the font on the toolbars, but I've not yet found a way of doing it on the control panel. Am I missing something?
Lynne Connolly
lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

Is there a way of defaulting automatically to the old style find and replace? It's annoying having to click the option every time. But until I can find a way of enlarging the font, I can't use the new panel.
And where is the "next" button? I may be missing it, because the font is too small, but I need that feature and I haven't found it yet.
Lynne Connolly
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The font size is the same for all dialogs and panels of the Control Board of Atlantis.

There is no "next"/"previous" buttons because all the instances (results) are listed directly in the "Find/Replace" panel.

To make the "Find/Replace" dialog your default search tool, uncheck the "Use instead of 'Find/Replace' dialog" option of the settings menu of the "Find/Replace" panel:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please post a screen capture of the Control Board on your system? And another screen capture of any dialog of Atlantis (the "Format | Font..." dialog, for instance)? You can attach images to your forum posts.
lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

Thank you. But I want the old box to be a default. At the moment I have to click on the choice every time, and when I want the function to be quick, that slows it down far too much.
I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to use it, but it's just not rendering properly. I have a 4k 28 inch screen. On my 13 inch 4k laptop, it's even worse.
Enlarging the font would only make it more difficult to use, as it is right now, as the containing box doesn't seem to be resizeable.
I've attached a screenshot of how it appears on the big screen. [/img]
Attachments
Screenshot (132).png
Screenshot (132).png (241.5 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
Lynne Connolly
lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

Sorry, should've resized the screenshot. If it was that big in reality, I wouldn't have that much of a problem! I think the font size is currently around 6-8 pts on the panel, which is a strain to read, and the overlapping box makes operation difficult.
I need a shortcut for "next" so I can scroll quickly through the document. I mean, the panel is nice, but it doesn't suit the way I work. I use far more keyboard shortcuts than I do mouse clicks.
Lynne Connolly
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Even when the new "Find/Replace" panel of the Control Board is your primary search tool, you can still press F3 in the document window to do "find next".

If you want the "Find/Replace" dialog to be displayed when you press Ctrl+F, please uncheck the "Use instead of 'Find/Replace' dialog" option of the settings menu of the "Find/Replace" panel:

The font size of the Control Board on your system is identical to the font size of the Document Bar or the Status bar. That font size corresponds to the display settings of your system. Besides a couple of minor glitches that will be fixed soon, the font sizes on your screen capture are OK. This is how things are normally supposed to display on a 4K-system. If you need a bigger font size, you can adjust the display settings of your Windows:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/incr ... e-computer
But this would affect all applications on your system (including Windows itself).
lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

If I put it at readable, which is around 250%, the panel is unusable because the formatting box isn't visible any more.
Anyway, I thought I'd let you know, because I can't be the only person who works on 4k screens.
Lynne Connolly
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi Lynne,
I was prescribed and fitted with glasses specially adapted for screen work so that I can comfortably read standard size texts and menus (DPI=100%) even on big screens.
I only use these glasses for computer work but they make things a lot easier. Changing DPI beyond 100% never worked for me.
HTH
Robert
lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

I have varifocals, and the ones I use for computer work have a wider middle field than the normal ones.
I think it would help if I could make the old find/replace panel the default, rather than the control panel one. I spent a lot of time tonight fiddling with Windows 10 sizes, but none worked for me. If I got the font readable, then the format boxes disappeared because they don't seem to resize along with the font. On a large 4k monitor, 200-225% seems to be the sweet spot, but the font on the control panel is still too small at that magnification, around 8 pt.
It's a great idea, but it might be just me who is having difficulties with it, in which case I'll suck it up.
Lynne Connolly
Robert

Post by Robert »

I have varifocals too, but for everyday life. They did not really do the job when it came to computer work. I had to get glasses specially adapted for screen work. The optometrist took into account the monitor size and the distance between my chair and the screen. These glasses work a lot better for computer work than did the varifocals. You could go to an optometrist and ask him to fit you with glasses you could test in his surgery.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think it would help if I could make the old find/replace panel the default, rather than the control panel one.
Please uncheck the "Use instead of 'Find/Replace' dialog" option of the settings menu of the "Find/Replace" panel:

If I got the font readable, then the format boxes disappeared because they don't seem to resize along with the font.
I meant exactly the glitches with the "Format" boxes. They will be fixed soon.
lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

Just popped back to say thank you.
You replied to my query promptly and really helpfully. That's worth a lot to me. I used to use another word processing program (no names, no pack drill!) and when I asked them about a problem, much more serious than this, they said it had never happened to anyone else, and they tried to reproduce the problem but couldn't, so it was my fault. I found out later that the problem was a recurring one, but because of that response and my worries that the problem would recur, I uninstalled that program and came here.
Honestly, that level of support is everything. So thanks.
Lynne Connolly
wood.22mark

Post by wood.22mark »

Hi. I have a similar problem. I tried adjusting the slider bar for Windows text. It did not seem to help. Picture of screen included.
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (113.96 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
My fingers are touching the screen. Please note that the icons for "Go up one level," "create new folder," etc. are tiny, difficult to use. In addition, the icons on the second line, "minimize, restore, close" (on the same line as File, Edit, Format, Insert) are also tiny. I changed laptops today. The problem appears only on my new laptop. So there probably is an easy fix. Please advise.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atlantis is not responsible for displaying those icons. They are system-specific things.
I cannot say why the "minimize", "restore", and "close" icons are so small on your system.
But apparently the version of file explorer used by Atlantis in the "open..." and "save..." dialogs is not fully-compatible with High DPI systems.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
wood.22mark

Post by wood.22mark »

I didn’t have this problem until I loaded the newest version of AWP.