language selection in mixed language texts

General comments and questions. Technical support.
franklekens

language selection in mixed language texts

Post by franklekens »

When I have a document containing text fragments in Dutch and others in English, it's not always easy to get Atlantis to known what language I'm typing in.

E.g. I've just pasted a couple of paragraphs in Dutch at the start of the document. Atlantis underlines everything, it thinks it's English. I select the text and specify it's Dutch. The underlining goes away, the text is recognized as Dutch.
Now I want to add text between the first and the second paragraph. I press enter and start to type: immediately the word is underlined. Atlantis thinks it's English. I select a bunch of paragraphs again and specify it's Dutch. I start to type again, in the middle of the text, at the point where I left off: Atlantis immediately jumps back to English UK.
Why is that?
Robert

Post by Robert »

A rule of thumb about the language Atlantis considers as “current” : take a look at the Language section of the status bar. If it says “English” and you start typing, any new text will be marked as “English”. If it says “Dutch” and you start typing, any new text will be marked as “Dutch”.
But there is an exception to this: if the whole document is associated with a “Default Language”, any new text that you type will be marked with the document “Default Language”.
If you don’t want the document to have a default language, you need to deactivate “Associate all new text with the following language” in the “Tools | Default Language…” dialog.
HTH
Robert