Folding Text / Outlining In Main Body of Document

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
freecicero

Folding Text / Outlining In Main Body of Document

Post by freecicero »

This comes to mind because I saw in a yahoo forum for Ecco users that someone who uses their computer like I do recommended both AtlantisWordProcessor as well as another program that is sort of double pane outliner, called "The Journal."

Essentially AtlantisWordProcessor already works as double-pane outliner when the control board is used on the left to display either the Headings or Bookmarks.

My suggestion to consider adding an equivalent of the Word "Outlining View." As you probably know, that feature allows the main body of the document to be "folded" or "collapsed" so that only certain levels can be seen at a single time. In other words, allow the main screen to function as a single pane outliner by allowing the text under each heading level to be folded or collapsed on command.

AtlantisWordProcessor already distinguishes itself as being an excellent Epub publisher. The world of single pane outliners (followed by adherents at places like www.outlinersoftware.com) badly needs more competent single-pane outliners, so it might be interesting for you to consider adding this feature (if i can be done at reasonable effort) to further distinguish AtlantisWordProcessor from other offerings.

I know that personally I would spend a lot more time in AtlantisWordProcessor if it allowed me to view documents in this single-pane-outliner way. I currently continue to use Ecco for that ability, even though such things are possible in Word. I've never thought Word's implementation of the concept was very elegant, and I bet AtlantisWordProcessor could do it a lot better.

Here is an example of a discussion of the desirability of this feature:

https://drandus.wordpress.com/tag/storyview/
Dormouse

Post by Dormouse »

I would support adding a text folding feature; preferably not linking it to headings. The best implementation of text folding I have seen is on Writemonkey 3 where it is very flexible. It is a common feature on text editors (ie programs aimed at programmers) where it facilitates management of a long program.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atlantis Word Processor is not a programmer's editor. But it has the "collapsible headings" feature:
http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en ... adings.htm
Robert

Post by Robert »

I would support adding a text folding feature; preferably not linking it to headings. The best implementation of text folding I have seen is on Writemonkey 3 where it is very flexible.
If you mean the SEGMENT FOCUS feature in Writemonkey whereby you can “show only a segment of the current document and hide the rest”, Atlantis Word Processor has a similar feature in the “Spotlight” feature: Spotlight
HTH
Robert
Dormouse

Post by Dormouse »

admin wrote:Atlantis Word Processor has the "collapsible headings" feature:
That's great.
admin wrote:Atlantis Word Processor is not a programmer's editor.
Writemonkey 3 can be used for programming, but it is mostly for writing.
There is total flexibility over the folding. Collapsed sections can be inside other collapsed sections and only a few sections long.

For usability, it means that writing a long MSS becomes much easier. If, for instance, a chapter switches between two or three parallel scenes, then you can collapse one scene to check continuity in another. If you are writing dialogue, then you can read through one character by hiding the others. It's a very useful feature for writing, but I acknowledge that most word processors are targeted at preparing documents with headings rather than writing MSS.

It's not a problem personally, because I enjoy writing in Writemonkey, but, since text folding was raised, I thought I would mention how useful it can be, even though it is very rarely seen in writing programs.
Robert

Post by Robert »

If, for instance, a chapter switches between two or three parallel scenes, then you can collapse one scene to check continuity in another. If you are writing dialogue, then you can read through one character by hiding the others.
Atlantis Word Processor has a Split View feature whereby you can view two different parts of a document at the same time.
HTH
Robert
Dormouse

Post by Dormouse »

Robert wrote:Atlantis Word Processor has a Split View feature whereby you can view two different parts of a document at the same time.
That's useful, but it's different. The key to the functionality is hiding all the sections you're not looking at. And there could be a lot of them, depending on what you are doing.