Rundll32.exe Starts with Atlantis

General comments and questions. Technical support.
writenow

Rundll32.exe Starts with Atlantis

Post by writenow »

Lately - I do not know exactly when it started - whenever I want to open Atlantis (version 1.6.6.5), it takes two tries, and then Rundll32.exe starts up and uses huge amounts of CPU.

My question: Is Atlantis programed to start rundll32.exe before it loads?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is Atlantis programed to start rundll32.exe before it loads?
No, it is not. If I am correct, this is a very old issue with the Windows Game Explorer. Your Windows assumes that the executable file of your Atlantis - "atlantis.exe" - is a game. The executable file of the recent versions of Atlantis is named "awp.exe" to address this issue. Try renaming the executable file of Atlantis under the "Program Files\Atlantis" folder. Please also see this forum topic.
writenow

Thanks

Post by writenow »

Hey, thanks much for the answer and the links.
creativelyspeaking

Post by creativelyspeaking »

I am SO glad you posted this question! We have been having EXACTLY the same problem since April 1st (2019). Atlantis has been running happily (from a command line from within a custom application that I wrote) for more than 10 years. Then all of a sudden (after some Windows updates were pushed out), we started having the same symptoms as you. I have been pulling my hair out ever since trying to change security settings and everything else I could think of - to no avail. Thank you!

-- Susan
writenow

Post by writenow »

Yes. This was a new problem for me, too. I avoid Windows updates, but recently allowed myself to be lured into downloading a security update. It was after that, that Atlantis' troubles began. Hope you get it sorted out.
creativelyspeaking

I think I did solve it, although we will do additional testing tomorrow. All I did was rename the Atlantis.exe file to AWP.exe. After 3 months of pulling my hair out and trying dozens of things involving multiple developers, it never occurred to me that a 15 year old problem would rear it's ugly head...again.

-- Susan
rstroud

Old versions

Post by rstroud »

Yeah, I remember the thing about a game conflict because of the name. That was a long time back.

But, honestly, folks, Atlantis is certainly the best deal of any commercial software.

For God's sake, upgrade from your old versions. It is not expensive to do so, and you get a lot of great new features.

RStroud
Running Windows 10
Atlantis 3.2.13.7
http://www.rolandstroud.com
creativelyspeaking

We had a custom version of Atlantis. Otherwise, I WOULD have upgraded long ago. Atlantis IS the deal out there. Luckily, upon further research, the changes that were created for us in our custom version have subsequently been added to the general release. But I didn't know that. It's just interesting that this problem from 15 years ago was reintroduced after a Windows update. Thank heaven it's all solved now.

-- Susan