The Note Separator Line

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
rstroud

The Note Separator Line

Post by rstroud »

I know that the Atlantis staff members probably groan every time that someone submits a "Feature Request" to be added to a list somewhere, a list that I suspect resides in a computer folder named File 13. :)

And, honestly, I look at some of the requests here, and I think, "Wha-a-t?" Sometimes I do not even know what people are talking about, and at other times I think, "Gee, you are asking a lot, too much, really."

Other requests through the years have been reasonable. One of these was part of the infamous Battle for Tables in Atlantis. This battle raged for many years, and we now have a really nice, easy-to-use tables feature in Atlantis. Again, our sincere thanks to the Atlantis staff!

Another reasonable request was made in 2008 (ten years ago!), and as far as I know, this fairly simple issue has never been resolved.

I am talking about the "note separator line" that appears just above a footnotes or endnotes section. It is not possible to change the short horizontal line that appears one line above the notes section. It is not possible to remove it entirely.

I encountered this issue yesterday when I was making a list (actually in a table, but that is irrelevant), a few of whose items needed an explanatory note. It was hard to tag items manually, because if I then decided to add or delete an item, it messed up the sequential numbering of the items.

It occurred to me that I might be able to provide the notes as endnotes. I discovered, to my delight, that Atlantis will let you do notes for individual sections of a document. I made my list (which was in a table) a separate section. At that point, I thought that this would work out great. And, in fact, the notes were fine except for one thing. Atlantis sticks a short horizontal line just above the notes section, just like you made forty years ago when you wrote a term paper with a typewriter and hit the underline key about twenty times.

Although this line is fine if you are writing a term paper according to the old typewriter model, it is not necessarily good for preparation of a book for publication. The footnotes section is less of an issue than the endnotes section. For endnotes you often want a final page titled ENDNOTES, and you really do not need a separator line.

So, anyway, I want to submit an appeal for you to address this old but very valid issue.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Most probably, in version 3.2.10.2 the note separators will be optional.
rstroud

The Note Separator Line

Post by rstroud »

Thank you, thank you!

And I really do love working with Atlantis. I recommend it to people every time that I have a chance.
rstroud

Just a reminder

Post by rstroud »

Most probably, in version 3.2.10.2 the note separators will be optional.
Hey, I do not want to be a nag about this, but I do want to offer a reminder about the separator line.

I am currently using 3.2.10.2, and it is still impossible to remove the separator line.

I know that you are working on lots of things ... I am just saying, "Please don't let this slide off your plate." :)
Robert

Post by Robert »

The setup file of Atlantis Word Processor version 3.2.10.2 is available from the download page at Downloads.
The direct download link is Setup file of Atlantis Word Processor 3.2.10.2 (size: 2.7 MB)
A complete description of the new features in Atlantis Word Processor version 3.2.10.2 can be read at Release notes - version 3.2.10.2.
The main new feature is the ability to remove the separator line between notes and the associated body text. And it is working!
rstroud

Yes, thank you.

Post by rstroud »

Yes, it does work, once a person knows to find it in the SECTIONS portion of the Control Board.

Muchas gracias, vielen dank, and thank you.

Also I discovered that 3.2.10.3 is now available. I had just checked about two hours before it was posted.