Odd things happens in Linux

General comments and questions. Technical support.
deardiary

Odd things happens in Linux

Post by deardiary »

Hello,

I use Atlantis in Linux Mint and have noticed something strange. When minimized, parts of the toolbar will pop up in other applications. This happens as well when I'm in other workspaces while Atlantis is open in a window or maximized on the other desktop. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Screenshot enclosed.
Attachments
atlantis-screen-2-2018.png
atlantis-screen-2-2018.png (964.53 KiB) Viewed 13748 times
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

Hello! I have been trying to get Atlantis to work in Linux without success as per this thread - viewtopic.php?t=2147&highlight=linux.

I run Mx17 and Crossover and Atlantis crashes with a memory error every time I open it.

Do you have any tips to get as far as you have? You aren't showing memory crashes?
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

Just bumping this thread because I hope someone will reply. I'd really like to get this working in Linux, so if someone has it running successfully in wine or crossover I would appreciation them posting on how they succeeded.
deardiary

Linux install

Post by deardiary »

freecicero,

Hi there, I had forgotten about this after it seemed that no one else had experienced the same issue. I've been using Atlantis in Linux Mint for many years (I use it on occasion, usually when Windows hits a little turbulence). So far, I haven't had any problems with installing Atlantis on Linux with Wine.
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

Deardiary thanks for checking back in. Are you still getting the odd issues that you referenced in your post?

I have continued to experiment and a couple of days ago discovered that installing version 3 in pure wine in my chromebook (GalliumOS - which is of course ubuntu derivative) seemed to work without error. I did not have time to continue exploring that, however, so I am not sure I am error free yet.

At any rate that seems to point to the problem being Crossover and / or my installations of MX-17, and of course if so then that's not Atlantis' fault but points to particular requirements for wine customization. I'm just going to have to keep experimenting til I can lock down what the issue is with my particular wine implementation. If I can do that perhaps we will find that there is simply some particular combination of wine version and/or tweaking that is required to avoid errors.
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

Deardiary could you let me know what version of wine you are running.

I just downloaded and installed linuxlite4 into a new virtualbox to test another configuration. On both of my computers, the command

wine --version

give me:

wine-3.0 (one is Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1 and the other is Debian 3.0.1-mx17+1 )

Is it possible you are running a version of wine prior to wine-3.0.1 ?

And on both of these installations I am getting the same "Exception: Out of Memory" Error. Atlantis installs, but does not even open up at all, and after a long delay gives the out of memory error.
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

I am pleased to report I have made a great deal of progress running Atlantis3 on linux. I have not had time to run it extensively, but it looks like it is now running completely fine, opening and saving documents fine, no menu artifacts popping up anywhere, no memory errors.

My breakthrough was that I discovered that Atlantis3 installed and ran perfectly fine on a GalliumOS computer I have which had an older version of wine on it -- wine 1.6.2.

After discovering that I went to one of my MX computers and installed PLAYONLINUX, with which I then installed wine 1.6.2 and then installed Atlantis3. So far Atlantis3 is running perfectly.

Using this method may end up taking up a little more disk space, as wine has now reached version 3 and I'll probably need the later versions for other software. But Playonlinux lets you keep a "Vault" of the full wine installation with the program, separately from other wine installations, so that's not so big a deal.

Unless I report back with further problems there's a very good chance that this solution is going to work and version 3 of Atlantis will be as workable on linux as version 2 always was in the past.
ElmerPan

Post by ElmerPan »

freecicereo wrote:I am pleased to get my hands on these tig welders and report I have made a great deal of progress running Atlantis3 on linux. I have not had time to run it extensively, but it looks like it is now running completely fine, opening and saving documents fine, no menu artifacts popping up anywhere, no memory errors.
That's awesome to read, Freecicero. Are you going to post a guide on how to get the version 3 running on Linux on this forum btw?
Last edited by ElmerPan on Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

ElmerPan unfortunately I don't have much more to add than the key sentence from my earlier post:

"I installed PLAYONLINUX, with which I then installed wine 1.6.2, and then I installed Atlantis3. So far Atlantis3 has continued to run perfectly. "\

Unfortunately I am not a Wine or a Playonlinux or a Crossover expert, and it kind of bums me out that I have to install 1.6.2 to make it work. I'm sure someone who knew what they were doing would probably be able to tell what it is about 1.6.2 that makes it work, and then they would be able to make it work with the latest wine versions, and that would be a lot more direct and useful for using wine with other things.

But in the meantime, this works!
dougrrr

Reverted to v. 4.0.1 to get cursor back

Post by dougrrr »

The latest versions of Atlantis have no cursor. I reverted to using v. 4.0.1 of Atlantis and the cursor is back. AWP is difficult to use with no cursor.

Not sure which version it disappeared in. But at least this one works.

Is anyone else having this problem?
dougrrr

Re: Odd things happens in Linux

Post by dougrrr »

Using WINE 7.22 Atlantis had no cursor after version 4.1.x.
Atlantis version 4.0.63 still works though. Good luck.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atlantis Word Processor 4.1.2+ uses bitmap cursor (caret) shapes. Possibly Wine does not support them.
dougrrr

Post by dougrrr »

Ah ha! That could be it. Anyway, I did discover the latest version of Atlantis that has no cursor issues: v. 4.0.6.3 using WINE 7.22.

This is a pretty recent version and has features I can use. So I am not too unhappy.
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

I haven't checked in here recently but after reading these posts I checked on my system because I too use Atlantis in Linux.

I found I was running 4.2.3 and though I do see that the cursor is unusually tall, it seems to be working fine for me.

I upgraded to 4.3 and tested and the cursor is still working.

I am running Atlantis in an older bottle but with the latest upgraded versions of Crossover Linux. Maybe there's a difference in the Crossover implementation over standard wine, but for whatever reason mine seems to be running ok.

Just thought I should report.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the update.
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

I decided to post this here because I am using Linux and I suspect this problem is Linux-related.

Until at least two weeks ago I was running fine with no issues using Crossover for Linux.

Today, however, I have the extremely weird issue that whenever I try to print an envelope, using an exact letter and address from the address book that worked fine until recently, Atlantis is printing the RETURN ADDRESS ONLY (in the correct spot, in the top left) but it is printing absolutely nothing for the recipient address in the middle of the envelope. All other printing and user functions appear to be fine.

I have tested this several ways of inputting the recipient address and I am still getting the same error and at am a loss on how to proceed.

One very odd thing is that when I append the envelope to the bottom of the letter, and then hit the envelope Icon and print straight from the dialogue that asks if I want to print the embedded envelope, the full envelope prints fine! It's only when I try to print the envelope by going to the envelope icon directly, and then inputting a new address into the envelope setup dialog, that the printing of the recipient address fails.

It's possible that this is a Crossover / Wine new version error, but the fact that the envelope prints correctly from one dialog but not from another seems very weird.

I am going to try to test this several different ways, but in the meantime I'd like to see if a regress to a version from about a month ago, rather than all the way back to version 3, would fix this problem.

Is there a way to download a two month old copy of version 4? I see the download page for other versions but not a page for more recent updates.

Update: I see on an old laptop that I have a version going back to 4.2.3, and that one is also not printing the recipient address when I use the dialog, so either there is a regression older than 4.2.3, or something else weird is happening. At any rate, I can print an envelope by appending it to the letter. I know there have been a lot of updates lately, but I am thinking that 4.23 is pretty old.

Thanks very much.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It would be good to know what has changed in your system since two weeks ago. If you has not updated Atlantis within those two weeks, I do not think that downgrading Atlantis would change anything.

It is strange that you can still print “attached” envelopes. I cannot explain this.

I do not have access to a Linux computer with a real printer. But I have just tried printing an envelope (without “attaching” first) to PDF (through cups-pdf) in the latest version of Atlantis under Linux Mint on a virtual computer, and it worked just fine.

Please run a test copy of Atlantis with factory settings (choose the “Tools | Factory Settings...” menu command), and print an envelope with default envelope settings. Same problem?
freecicero

Post by freecicero »

Thank you for the suggestion.
I ran the same addresses through after starting a Factory Settings Sessions.

It definitely responded differently -- this time it printed the first one and a half characters of each addressee line, but then stopped on each line, almost as if it thought it had reached the end of the paper.

I thank you for your response but don't want you to worry about this further. I don't print many envelopes nowadays, and the few that I do I can use the "append to document" option.

If I test further and can think of anything else, or it starts working again after a particular upgrade or change in hardware, I will let you know.

Thanks again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It looks like a problem with incorrect paper format or orientation.

It would be possible to look into this if you agreed to run a debug version of Atlantis on your system.