Highlight all instances of selected text

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
MaximilianKohler

Highlight all instances of selected text

Post by MaximilianKohler »

Notepad++ has an awesome feature that when you select a word or phrase it will automatically highlight all other instances of it. Web browsers have a similar feature with the "ctrl+f" -> highlight all. I prefer the notepad++ style, but even the other one would be appreciated. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

At this point, you can use the "Find & Select All" button in the "Find / Replace" dialog, then the "Show more selections" button of the "Edit" toolbar to navigate among selected items:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

franklekens

Post by franklekens »

This is really great, you know. I never even asked for this feature myself, never thought of it, only noticed it on the latest update -- and I already find it's useful to me. Thanks.
MaximilianKohler

Post by MaximilianKohler »

Hi, thanks a lot for adding this!

I just have one bit of feedback: The other text that gets highlighted is done so significantly dimmer to the point where it's hard to tell that it's highlighted at all.

I checked in "options -> colors" tab for a way to make it more obvious, but the only option I see is for changing the general highlight color, which doesn't remedy the problem.

I also tried unchecking "optimize onscreen contrast of text colors". And I also tried selecting text than clicking the "highlight" shortcut (which I intended to undo after scrolling through to look over the text), but that only highlighted the one instance, rather than all of them.

For me, I think the ideal fix would be to both make it darker and possibly adding an option to make it a different color. Looking at the way notepad++ does it, they don't change the color, but it's darker (though not as dark as the original highlighted text).
Robert

Post by Robert »

When you select a fragment of text and there are other occurrences of the same fragment in the document, they get numbered in the status bar:

If you click on that number, all the occurrences are automatically selected, and appear as a proper multiple selection: