end notes option

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
DaleDe

end notes option

Post by DaleDe »

When footnotes are in the file and an ePub is created these are converted to endnotes in a separate file at the end of the document. This is perfect for standard endnotes. However sometimes it is preferable to put the endnotes at the end of each chapter that the original footnotes were in. For ePub this has the advantage of being in the same file as the chapter. Most if not all ePub readers load the ePub book into memory one chapter at a time. Thus chapter endnotes are reached without loading another file and the back button works the same. Full end of book endnotes must store away the location, load a separate file to display the note and then reload the original file when returning, which can be really slow on a low powered dedicated reader.

I would like to see an option when building the ePub to specify endnotes or chapter endnotes for the conversion.

Dale
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Saving one type of notes (I mean "section endnotes" – endnotes located at the end of section) to EPUB "at their original location" does not make much sense because another (more common) type of notes – footnotes – cannot be saved to EPUB "at their original location" (i.e. cannot be kept on same page with their corresponding note reference marks). At least, this would make things less consistent and probably more confusing.