Using Atlantis with MobiPocket Creator

General comments and questions. Technical support.
epobirs

Using Atlantis with MobiPocket Creator

Post by epobirs »

I was hoping Atlantis could solve a problem I was facing. The Save as EPUB feature is what first brought me to Atlantis. To make a Kindle file I can feed the EPUB (after finalizing in Sigil) into KindleGen to get a MOBI file. The problem with this is that file is ridiculously large compared to the EPUB. In fact, the entire EPUB is embedded within!

The alternative, if you aren't adept in web coding, is to use MobiPocket Creator to make a PRC file, which is also accepted by Amazon. The problem with getting Word to produce a HTM file to use is that it will have an immense amount of Office related garbage that is completely unneeded and adds bulk. On my latest project I tried using Atlantis to make the HTM file. It came out as a mere 958 KB compared to Word's 1450 KB behemoth. Great!

But then I tried to use it with MobiPocket and found the resulting file had no entries on the Table of Contents. (This is the metadata ToC as opposed to the page of links in the book.) I looked in the HTM file AWP had made and all of my headings were gone. Each of the stories had begun with the title and author in H1 and H2 respectively. But the HTM file instead had the text formatted manually!

Also, the AWP HTM file contains no page breaks, resulting in a book with no chapter breaks. (Also, no NCX resulted but that may have been entirely MobiPocket's issue.)

What the hell, guys? This makes no sense, especially since you must be doing it differently for the EPUB save. Yet that is just a variation on the HTML save. Not being able to use Atlantis for doing Kindle work without going to EPUB first is a big deficit.