Date formatting

General comments and questions. Technical support.
mdlctzn

Date formatting

Post by mdlctzn »

???<br>There's probably a way to do this that I just haven't found yet - &nbsp;I'd like to set up a standard date format that is not in the available list.. how can I add a new date format ?<br>Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Date formatting

Post by admin »

The only way is to modify the default Windows Date & Time formats.<br><br>For this go to the "Start &#124; Settings...", "Control Panel". Double-click "Regional Settings". Modify information at the "Time" and "Date" tabs.
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

I tried this. &nbsp;I want a "MM-DD-YY" format. &nbsp;All I can get is a "DD-MM-YY" format in Atlantis, even with whatever tweaks I make in the regional settings.<br><br>Thanks much.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atlantis offers multiple date & time formats that depend on the Windows Regional settings. Only one of them is linked to the “Shift+Alt+D” hot key or a corresponding toolbar button.<br><br>Go to the “Insert &#124; Date & Time…” to choose the desired Atlantis date/time format that should be used by the “Shift+Alt+D”.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You also might have to restart Atlantis to make the new Windows regional settings take effect.
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

Okay, I want today, February 15, 2002, to show up in the date format "mm-dd-yy", or 02-15-02. &nbsp;The only one I can find in Atlantis is "dd-mm-yy", or 15-02-02.<br><br>My regional settings for Short Date (winXP), are set to "MM-dd-yyyy", with a "-" character as separator. &nbsp;That gives me 02-15-2002 in Windows.<br><br>In Atlantis, I find options for 15-02-02 and 02-15-2002 02:55 PM, but nothing that allows me to do 02-15-02.<br><br>I hope this helps to clarify.<br><br>Is there an ini file or registry setting I could edit, to add in the desired format myself?<br><br>Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Windows allows to specify two date formats through the Regional Settings: the so called "Short date" and "Long date". Atlantis offers both these formats through the "Insert &#124; Date & Time..." command. Any change to the Windows "Short date" or "Long date" affects the Atlantis date & time formats.<br><br>Please check what are your Windows "Short date" and "Long date" formats. They should be offered by Atlantis too.<br>Please try to modify the Windows "Long date".
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

Okay, this is directly cut and pasted from my regional settings:<br><br>Short date format: MM-dd-yyyy,<br>Short date sample: 02-16-2002<br>Nearest Atlantis equivalent: 16-02-2002<br><br>Long date format: dddd, MMMM dd, yyyy<br>Long date sample: Saturday, February 16, 2002<br>Nearest Atlantis equivalent: Saturday, February 16, 2002<br><br>Therefore, it appears that though my copy of Atlantis is correctly showing the Windows long date, it is transposing the month and day of the short date.
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

Anything more on this issue?
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

More information:<br>I'm using version 1.1.0.0, on Windows XP Pro.<br><br>I modified the Windows short date to MM-dd-yy, showing 03-22-02 in Windows. &nbsp;Atlantis showed me 22-03-02.<br><br>I modified the Windows short date to dd-MM-yy, showing 22-03-02 in Windows. &nbsp;Atlantis showed me 22-03-02.<br><br>I then modified the Windows long date to MM-dd-yy, showing 03-22-02 in Windows. &nbsp;Atlantis showed me 22-03-02.<br><br>I modified the Windows long date to dd-MM-yy, showing 22-03-02 in Windows. &nbsp;Atlantis showed me 22-03-02.<br><br>I couldn't see where the available selections in Atlantis were changing at all. &nbsp;I was restarting Atlantis after each system change.<br><br>Please, could I just have the option to define my own custom format in Atlantis? &nbsp;I'll stop bugging you if I get it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atlantis offers 24 date formats. Just choose the desired one through the Insert &#124; Date & Time....
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

No, you are absolutely not getting what I am asking.<br>I know what date format I want, and it's a really common one. &nbsp;Everyone I know here uses MM-DD-YY. &nbsp;Atlantis does not offer it, and I can't tweak the Windows settings to make it give it to me. &nbsp;All those 24 date settings are useless to me if I can't make any of them show the one that I and all my co-workers and associates use.<br><br>All I want is to be able to define my own format. &nbsp;It would probably be easier in the long run. &nbsp;Hell, program in a kludge, and I'll test it for you, I do that for a living anyway.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Regrettably custom date formats should not be expected in the nearest future.
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

Thank you much.<br><br>Is there an unauthorized registry tweak somewhere that I could use to do this?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No. The date templates are contained by the main executable of Atlantis.<br><br>Anyway you could modify the Long Date format of Windows. Atlantis offers the Long Date of Windows among its date formats.
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

<br>
admin wrote:<br>Anyway you could modify the Long Date format of Windows. Atlantis offers the Long Date of Windows among its date formats.<br>
<br><br>Look at my last few posts. &nbsp;This is EXACTLY what I was telling you that I could not do, and I provided very clear step by step details on what I had tried.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 5th date format from the drop-down menu of the Insert date toolbar button contains exactly the Long Date format.
fbailey

Post by fbailey »

I agree with this complaint. I would like to use MM-DD YY also. It looks like atlantis could provide that!
maxqnz

Post by maxqnz »

admin wrote: The 5th date format from the drop-down menu of the Insert date toolbar button contains exactly the Long Date format.
Reading the postsfrom the other users, it seems that there may be a small glitch in Atlantis. If it is only offering dd-mm, and never mm-dd, that is a problem for users who live where mm-dd is the standard. Maybe those who are having this difficulty might consider taking screenshotys to make the point clear visually, since there appears to be a communication problem in this thread.
One approach that may be worthy of consideration by the developersis that used by WordPerfect. It sets its own date format options based on the default language coding. So, a default setting of US English makes all dates mm-dd, a setting of UK English akes them dd-mm.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Things are much simpler. Atlantis offers the so called Long Date Format, the Short Time Format, and the Long Time Format from the Regional Settings of Windows (Start, Settings…| Control Panel) but never offers the Short Date Format.

The next build of Atlantis (1.1.2.4) will offer the Short Date Format.