Can't print from Atlantis

General comments and questions. Technical support.
n7eie

Can't print from Atlantis

Post by n7eie »

I downloaded Atlantis 29 days ago, registered it 3 weeks ago, and have been very happy with the word processing package ever since, until yesterday.

I went to print out a ten page document I had been working on for a week, and nothing happened. When I press OK, the cursor goes to the hourglass for 1 second, and the Windows printer icon comes up on the applications bar saying that the printer is ready. The printer doesn't do anything. :(

The printer is working, I can print from 4 other applications through Windows, I can even print from Atlantis help, but not from any documents inside Atlantis. One page documents, whatever, nothing happens.

I am using a Sony Vaio laptop, Windows Vista Home Premium, and my printer is a Canon Pixma MP470.

Any tips, folks? It was printing fine until yesterday, now suddenly Atlantis won't print. Sort of inconvenient for a word processor, don't ya think! Could it be some sort of a registration bug that was supposed to turn off printing if I didn't register it? But I have registered it. I try to re-register it, and it says it's already registered.

Thanks in advance.

Leroy Smith
n7eie@arrl.net
Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This has nothing to do with your registration.

Did you switch any settings in the Print dialog of Atlantis?

If you are familiar with the Windows Registry Editor, please do the following:

1) close the running instances of Atlantis (if any),

2) launch the Registry Editor,

3) remove the following Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rising Sun Solutions, Inc.\Atlantis.1_x\Print

4) launch Atlantis, and try printing.

Alternatively please do the following:

1) Click the "Start > Run..." button of the Windows Taskbar.

2) Paste the following command-line in the edit box:

"C:\Program Files\Atlantis\Atlantis.exe" -dls -dss

and click OK. It will launch Atlantis with the default settings. Your Atlantis settings in the Registry would remain unchanged. Note that running the command-line might ask you to reenter your registration code.

3) Launch Atlantis, and try printing.

Did it help?
n7eie

Re: Can't print from Atlantis

Post by n7eie »

<Did it help?

Yup, good call. I was amazed at all that technical stuff in WRE, but I did back up my copy just for drill. Deleted that print key, and Atlantis prints fine now, just like it used to.

I don't remember changing anything in the printer box.

Won't be the first file Windows corrupted... As a matter of fact in the month and a half since I bought this machine, it was the FOURTH! Don' cha just hate Windows? I know I do! I have to grin and bear it, though: One of my favorite software applications is not available in Linux.

Thanks for your help, bud.

Leroy
n7eie@arrl.net
Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ
mhender668

Post by mhender668 »

I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem. I have Atlantis on a windows 10 machine and it prints fine. I'm moving to a Windows 11 machine, and I can't print from Atlantis. Other programs are able to print.
MEH
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does Windows start a print job when you click the "OK" button in the "File | Print..." dialog of Atlantis? Does anything get displayed in the Windows notification area?
mhender668

Post by mhender668 »

The process appears to go normally, and the document is in the print que as "sent to print," but nothing happens. I don't have a problem printing in other programs, such as Acrobat, LibreOffice, Gmail, etc., and it prints a printer test page.
MEH
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please try printing via a virtual printer driver? If you do not have one, you can install CutePDF or PrimoPDF.
mhender668

Post by mhender668 »

I am able to print to pdf and to Onenote. No dice on the printer. I removed it an reinstalled it, and printed a test page and a page from LiberOffice.
MEH
mhender668

Post by mhender668 »

In other words, I only have a problem printing with Atlantis.
MEH
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am able to print to pdf
I only have a problem printing with Atlantis.
Can you "print to PDF" (through a virtual printer driver) from Atlantis?
mhender668

Post by mhender668 »

Yes, from Atlantis I can print to pdf, which then will print from Acrobat, but cannot print directly to the printer from Atlantis.
MEH
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you can print from Atlantis through a virtual printer driver (i.e. print to PDF), the problem is printer-specific. I cannot suggest much at this point. But could you please tell your printer model?
mhender668

Post by mhender668 »

Canon TS 3451
MEH