Incremental number field

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
the-silverware

Incremental number field

Post by the-silverware »

Hello, I would like to request a very simple feature I took great advantage of when I used MS Word. Could you please add a field that displays an incremental number each time is repeated within the document? For example:

Code: Select all

Chapter [Field.Autonum]
Text

Chapter [Field.Autonum]
Text

Chapter [Field.Autonum]
Text
Becomes:

Chapter 1
Text

Chapter 2
Text

Chapter 3
Text
Why is this useful?
I often write novels with numbered chapters and paragraphs. However sometimes I may need to move a paragraph earlier or later in the text, which implies manually modifying the numbering of all subsequent paragraphs. For example, if I decide to move chapter 40 after chapter 21, I'll have to manually rename it to 22 and also rename all later paragraphs.

In MS Word I had found a useful workaround for this, I only needed to place an Autonumber field formatted as the header of the paragraph or mini-chapter to auto-generate the paragraph number! However, Atlantis does not seem to have such a field available or a similar function.

I know this might not seem a big deal, but when you find yourself in need of renaming manually 40 chapters it becomes a real lifesaver. An autonumber field can also be used in a wider variety of ways, for example when you're can't use numbered lists and you need to generate a dynamic counter dispersed throughout your document for any reason.

It is also useful to be able to define different counters, for example: Counter 1 in normal numbers, counter 2 in roman numbers, counter 3 letters in alphabetical order, etc. The different counters are only connected to one another within the same series so they don't get messed up if you move one through the others.

My last book, for example, featured two separate sets of numbered paragraphs, one with normal numbers for the chapters in the present and one with roman numbers for scenes that revolved in the past. Actually, since the scenes in the past revolved in different places, there were multiple series of past flashbacks. Here's an example:

1. Present
2. Present
3. Present
Flashback (city last month I)
4. Present
5. Present
Flashback (ship at sea 2 years ago I)
6. Present
Flashback (city last month II)
7. Present
Flashback (ship at sea 2 years ago II)
Flashback (city last month III)
Flashback (ship at sea 2 years ago III)
... and so on. So every series of fields is ONLY connected with its own siblings and has its own number format (normal, roman, alphabetical etc).
You can see how useful it might be to manage a large document containing many numbered paragraphs with such a simple tool.

It would also be ENOURMOUSLY useful if you find yourself writing a Game Book. Instead of manually randomizing the chapter numbers or buying a dedicated tool, you could just put an autonumber field at the beginning of every paragraph and let the computer do the magic when you merge everything together.

SUGGESTION: Rather than introducing a new type of field, it might be more pratical to manage this as an interface function like bookmarks or footnotes, such as: Create new counter, give it a name, apply this format to it and start from this number. So you can easily create and manage multiple series of counters, navigate through them via the Control Board etc. =)
I'm sure many people might find this useful.

I hope you consider my request, thank you very much
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can do this:

1. Associate all the chapter headings with the "Heading 1" style.

2. Choose the "Format | Style..." menu command.

3. Click the "Heading 1" style.

4. Click "Modify...".

5. Click "List...".

6. Click the "Simple numbered" tab.

7. Double-click the desired numbering pattern from the List Gallery. You can insert "Chapter " in the "Text" edit box to the left of the automatic number.

8. OK out of the dialogs.
Last edited by admin on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Post by Robert »

What about using Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3 paragraphs associated with style-controlled simple numbering lists? In the attached sample document, the chapters are associated with the “Present – Heading 1” style; the City Flashbacks with the “Flashback city” Heading 2 style; the Ship at sea flashbacks with the “Flashback ship at sea” Heading 3 style.
When you create a new paragraph that is meant as a Chapter, associate it with the “Present – Heading 1” style.
When you create a new paragraph that is meant as a City Flashback, associate it with the “Flashback city” Heading 2 style.
When you create a new paragraph that is meant as a Ship at sea Flashback, associate it with the “Flashback ship at sea” Heading 3 style.
The numbering will follow automatically.

HTH.
Cheers,
Robert
Attachments
Chapter Numbering.docx
(4.61 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
the-silverware

Post by the-silverware »

Thanks for taking the time to look into my suggestion and even coming up with a sample file so quickly!
This looks like a clever workaround to the problem. Rather technical and a bit counterintuitive, but clever! I will look into it. I still feel that a dedicated tool would be much simpler to use for the less experienced users (like me) and allow more control without messing up the headings with extra parameters, but until you decide to add this feature - if ever - I think this will do the trick.
All I can say is that Atlantis proves again its great flexibility! 8)
the-silverware

Post by the-silverware »

I just found out that by using the solution you suggested, one can actually speed through the various storylines of a novel. Here's how it's done, in case someone else finds this tip useful:

- Format the headings with autonumbering as previously instructed
- Bring up the Control Board
- Open the Styles tab
- Select the style associated with the storyline you want to navigate
- At the bottom of the Control Board, press the button "Select paragraphs associated with highlighted style"
- Now go to the Edit panel and click the button "Show more selections" (assuming you've put that command in the customizable interface).

You will quickly scroll through the selected storyline across the whole book without stopping at every single chapter! :idea: :o
Robert

Post by Robert »

As you know, ordinary paragraphs can have Font, Paragraph, Tabs, and List formatting properties. But these formatting properties have to be applied separately, one after the other, if you use so-called “direct formatting”, which is mainly manual formatting in the document window.

But each paragraph is normally also associated with a style. By default, it is most of the time the “Normal” style. But it can be any other (more) suitable style.
The document styles in Atlantis are <b>paragraph </b> styles. A paragraph style has properties that are applied in bulk whenever such a style is applied to a paragraph. These style properties include Font, Paragraph, Tabs, and List own formatting properties.

So each Heading style, and actually any document style, can have specific List properties that will automatically be applied to the associated paragraphs. Also note that any change that you make to the properties of a style is immediately reflected in the formatting of the associated paragraphs.

Now the List properties of a style can be those of a simple bulleted, simple numbered, or outline list. These simple numbered, or outline list properties can include any “text” that will be associated with the numbering itself. The Heading 1/2/3 styles in “Chapter Numbering.docx” have different texts associated with their respective numbering, i.e. “Present Chapter”, “Flashback city last month”, “Flashback ship at sea 2 years ago”. And the numbering is specific to each heading.

Note that you can navigate the Heading-style paragraphs of a document in several ways:
As you found out, through the Styles panel of the Control Board.
But you can also use the Atlantis Navigation tool at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar.
And you can search for specific styles using the Ctrl+F dialog. After the first hit, you can dismiss the Ctrl+F dialog and press F3 to navigate from one find to the next.

HTH.
Cheers,
Robert