Kaspersky Security and Atlantis

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Richard Watts

Kaspersky Security and Atlantis

Post by Richard Watts »

Yesterday Kaspersky software intervened and uninstalled Atlantis having claimed it was showing the behaviour of a trojan. I managed to reinstall easily enough, and have placed Atlantis on Kaspersky's exception list to hopefully stop it happening again.

Does anyone know why Kaspersky would have given a false positive like this for Atlantis, has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

Btw, Atlantis is easily the most productive word processor I've ever used, and I think I've used all of them, so a big thank you to the developer! I await the new GUI with deep interest!
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi Richard,
The problem with the latest security suites is that they are often overprotective. When I installed the Windows 10 Creators Update, Atlantis was blocked by the Windows “SmartScreen” function. I simply deactivated “SmartScreen” on my system: it had proved it wasn’t so smart as claimed!

By the way, here is from Kaspersky Antivirus Banned by the US Government:
The United States government has decided to ban software developed by Russian company Kaspersky Lab due to possible ties to Kremlin and collaboration with local intelligence services.

The General Services Administration has confirmed for AFP that Kaspersky is no longer an approved software vendor, which basically means that state departments and federal agencies in the United States are not allowed to buy software from the Russian security vendor.

"GSA's priorities are to ensure the integrity and security of US government systems and networks and evaluate products and services available on our contracts using supply chain risk management processes," the agency was quoted as saying.

Concerns regarding Kaspersky’s collaboration with Russia aren’t new, but more recently, reports coming from US-based media, including Bloomberg News, revealed that the security company had stronger ties than initially believed with Russian intelligence agency FSB.
Of course Kaspersky denied all accusations. But did anyone expect them to own up?
lynneconnolly

Same here

Post by lynneconnolly »

Mine did it too, with Kaspersky! Just uninstalled the lot, and told me it was a trojan! Like the previous person, I just reinstalled it, but it was a bit of a surprise!
Despite the US government trying to tarnish it, Kaspersky is still the number one antivirus and firewall program on the tech sites, and I've found it extremely good. But the uninstalling was distinctly strange. Does Atlantis try to gather specific statistics at any time? That might trigger it.
I wouldn't uninstall Smart Screen. You just click the link at the bottom for more info and select "install anyway." The new Smart Screen is a good check against invasion, and I, for one, don't want ransomware on my computer!
Lynne Connolly
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a false positive.
Does Atlantis try to gather specific statistics at any time?
When the "Power Type" is enabled, Atlantis collects statistical information about text that you type. Atlantis might also monitor your typing speed. Nothing besides that.
lynneconnolly

digital signature

Post by lynneconnolly »

I think it might be because Atlantis has no digital signature. Anyway, I've added it as an exception on the firewall, so it should be fine now.
Lynne Connolly
lynneconnolly

Trojan in Atlantis?

Post by lynneconnolly »

In case you want to explore this, I got this reference: PDM.Trojan.Win32.Generic when my antivirus decided to uninstall it today.
Lynne Connolly
Robert

Post by Robert »

lynneconnolly

Post by lynneconnolly »

Thanks, yes, I saw that one. I just added Atlantis as an exception, but since my computer managed to uninstall my copy of 2.0.6 and now the newest iteration, I thought it might be worth a look.
Lynne Connolly