Saving custom toolbar and settings

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Shan

Saving custom toolbar and settings

Post by Shan »

I make all my staff and students use Atlantis which works very well.

I would like to give new students a file with very simplified system for them.
A basic toolbar,
Some Autocorret options,
and one Associate file option.

I think this could be done if I can
a) save my own settings file into a different folder
b) create the simplified settings
c) save the simplified settings into a different folder.
d) move my own settings back again.

Does this work?
If so where do I find the file? In my Windows/ Atlantis folder there is nothing like that.
Just Atlantis.exe / Hyphenation.dat/ Install.log/ License.txt

Merci comme toujours pour ta service excellente.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Shan, are your students logging into Windows through one or several Windows Accounts that are different from your own Windows Account?
Shan

Post by Shan »

Robert my students are in many different countries. I require them to install their own copies of Atlantis on their own home computers. So I have brought you about 600 customers over the last 10 years!

So I want to provide a copy of the file which holds custom settings -
custom toolbar
file association with RTF
a few settings in Autocorrect.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Shan, here is how I would go about this:
A) You need to create an INI file for yourself first. This file will include all your personal settings for Atlantis.
1. Launch Atlantis on your system.
2. Make sure that all options are set to suit your own needs in the various sub-menus (dialogs) of the “Tools” main menu:
  • “AutoCorrect Options…”
    “Power Type”
    “Hyphenation”
    “File Associations…”
    “Menus…”
    “Toolbars…”
    “Hot Keys…”
    “Status Bar…”
    “Sounds…”
    “Options…”
3. In the “Tools | Options…” dialog, click the “Save to File…” button, and save your settings to “Shan’s Atlantis.ini”, for example. This INI file should normally be saved to “C:\Users\<USER’S NAME>\Documents\Atlantis”.

B) Now you need to create an INI file for your students. This file will include all the settings that you want them to have for Atlantis.
2. Make sure that all options are set to suit your students’ needs in the various sub-menus (dialogs) of the “Tools” main menu:
  • “AutoCorrect Options…”
    “Power Type”
    “Hyphenation”
    “File Associations…”
    “Menus…”
    “Toolbars…”
    “Hot Keys…”
    “Status Bar…”
    “Sounds…”
    “Options…”
3. In the “Tools | Options…” dialog, click the “Save to File…” button, and save these settings to “Student’s Atlantis.ini”, for example. This INI file should normally be saved to “C:\Users\<USER’S NAME>\Documents\Atlantis”.
4. Send this “Student’s Atlantis.ini” file to each of your students, and ask them to follow this procedure:
  • a) Place this “Student’s Atlantis.ini” file in your “C:\Users\<USER’S NAME>\Documents\Atlantis” folder.
    b) Launch Atlantis on your system.
    c) Open the “Tools | Options…” dialog, and click the “Load from File…” button.
    d) In the “Load Settings from File” dialog, select “Student’s Atlantis.ini”, and open it.
    e) Atlantis will ask you to confirm that you want to load the settings from “C:\Users\<USER’S NAME>\Documents\Atlantis\Student’s Atlantis.ini”, and restart Atlantis. Click “Yes”.
    f) Atlantis will relaunch itself with the settings included in “Student’s Atlantis.ini”.
C) Finally, Shan, you need to restore your own settings.
2. Open the “Tools | Options…” dialog, and click the “Load from File…” button.
d) In the “Load Settings from File” dialog, select “Shan’s Atlantis.ini”, and open it.
e) Atlantis will ask you to confirm that you want to load the settings from “C:\Users\<USER’S NAME>\Documents\Atlantis\Shan’s Atlantis.ini”, and restart Atlantis. Click “Yes”.
f) Atlantis will relaunch itself with the settings included in “Shan’s Atlantis.ini”.

HTH.
Cheers,
Robert