Bookmarks - making a glossary

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Shan

Bookmarks - making a glossary

Post by Shan »

I am translating a long text, small book size. I put the Welsh text in Left col. trans. in Right col.
These pages cover a chapter for each document.

I am also making a glossary of key Welsh words used in the book. This has to be a separate document due to length. Also it relates to all the other chapter documents.

At the moment I just underline a word which appears in the Glossary list document.

It would be great if I could hyperlink across the documents - they are in the same folder. It's like they have a common collection of footnotes.
So I can jump to the word meaning in the Glossary by clicking the word in the main text.
Robert

Post by Robert »

In Atlantis, you can create hyperlinks to bookmarks located in other documents on your PC.
The two documents attached to this post demonstrate this.
In “Welsh Translation.docx”, the word “Braille” was selected, then made into a hyperlink to the corresponding “Braille” bookmark in “Welsh-English Glossary.docx”. The button to create such a hyperlink Image is on the Atlantis “Extended” toolbar.
Please, have a look.
HTH.
Cheers,
Robert
Attachments
Welsh-English Glossary.docx
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Welsh Translation.docx
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
Shan

Post by Shan »

Robert merci encore pour plus merveilles d'Atlantis.

I am using the hyperlink bookmarks in another document. So my vocabulary in the other language is listed in a Glossary document. I link a word in my source Text to its meaning in the Glossary.

This is excellent for translation/ language teaching. In the source text the word shows blue, underlined link PLUS screen tip popup display of meaning. Wonderful.

Magic addition - when I make a NEW bookmark hyperlink, I add it as a Clip in its own folder (Glossary).
Now I can re-use it in any of my chapters as I translate and comment.
I can also use it to cross reference variations of the word in the Glossary doc itself.

However the process is lengthy to set up.
- Create text in Glossary (can mean multiple parts copy/ paste research)
- Create Bookmark on the entry word.
- Save the document. (Very important and easy to forget!)
- Copy all or part of the meaning text ready to paste into the bookmark screen tip.
- Select word/s in Text document.
- Open Hyperlink dialogue.
- Paste text from Glossary.
- Click Bookmark from another doc

- In explorer select the other file
- In the SMALL popup box scroll down to the desired bookmark
- Click OK
- Click OK.

- Copy the new bookmark link into the Clip Library.

Repeat 100s of times ...
The part which I find irritating is the part in bold. I think this is because it is completely repetitive to open Explorer and keep selecting the same document.
Also the display box of bookmarks is very small making lots of scrolling.

It would be very helpful if I could link doc1 doc2 doc3 .... to docX (link multiple docs to a source doc with bookmarks).
Then in the current doc (if linked to source doc) click to view the source doc bookmarks in Control panel (nice long list less scroling) and insert it as a link in the current doc.
Robert

Post by Robert »

To select a file in the Explorer window, click in the list so that it is focused, then type the first letter of the target file. Scrolling to the first file beginning with that letter will happen automatically.
Same thing in the bookmarks window. First, choose to sort the bookmarks by name, click in the bookmarks list so that it is focused, then type the first letter of the target bookmark. Scrolling to the first bookmark beginning with that letter will happen automatically.
HTH.
Cheers,
Robert
emcat

Hyperlink glossary for index?

Post by emcat »

Good day, Robert,

Will creation of the glossary hyperlink be useful in creating an index?

Thanks, Maggie
Robert

Post by Robert »

I am afraid not... You'll have to wait till this feature is implemented in Atlantis.