Cross referencing

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Shan

Cross referencing

Post by Shan »

Cher Robert,

I am having a wonderful time with my PhD and Atlantis - bless you.

I am wondering if I can cross refer to a page and to a footnote?
As both are dynamic ...

I imagine the footnote is easier as although its number changes that is in effect a label. The footnote must have a database entry independent of the numbering it displays.
So can I link to the underlying ID of a footnote?

I often want to say 'See page 6.'
Problem is page 6 can easily become page 8, page 7, page 9, or even page 3, as I add and edit the structure.
Is it possible to refer to a section heading perhaps?
Shan

Post by Shan »

Apologies - have found Bookmarks to create link to a text position in the main text.

There was no ref. there to footnotes though. It would be good to enable automatic bookmarks for footnotes ... but a separate list to other bookmarks so the standard list is not flooded - I use a lot of footnotes.

But I expect you have a clever method for footnotes.

In case not, to help others - I highlight all my cross references pale blue. Then when I do final checks O can go through my blue highlights and make them more accurate and specific. NOT looking forward to it though in 3-4 years time!
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi Shan,
You can create hyperlinked field entries to any of the footnotes present in the current document. Simply click “Insert | Field…”, then select the last field type, i.e. “Note Reference”. Choose to refer to a footnote or an endnote (drop-down), then check “Insert formatted” and/or “insert as hyperlink” as desirable:

Cheers,
Robert
Shan

Post by Shan »

WOW! Elegant! I don't know why I couldn't find that.

Small extra - I just tried using page numbering. The format is set to highlight the page number in grey so it is hard to see the number. When I tried

Insert/ Field/ Page number/ Format

– there is no option to edit the highlight to white.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Right, there is no option to change the gray highlight color of fields. But this gray highlighting is only visible when either “Always” or “When the “Special Symbols” mode is on” is selected in the “Tools | Options… > View tab:

So if you don’t want to see this gray highlighting, simply switch the “Special Symbols” mode off ("View | Special Symbols"), or choose “Never” in the above “Field Shading” drop-down.
Cheers,
Robert