unicode translation of named enities

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
DaleDe

unicode translation of named enities

Post by DaleDe »

Unicode is a required support element for ePub and UTF-8 is the default. I am finding that some of the newer eBook readers are depending on that support and are no longer translating named entities. I would suggest AWP translate name entities directly to their UTF values during the creation of the ePub output.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atlantis uses only a dozen of HTML entities. Could you please be more specific - which of the below items are not supported and by what eReader(s):

"
&
<
>
&bdquo;
&hellip;
&lsquo;
&rsquo;
&ldquo;
&rdquo;
&nbsp;
&lsquo;
&rsquo;
&ldquo;
&rdquo;
&bdquo;
DaleDe

Post by DaleDe »

What I noticed was the curly quotes, both single and double. The eReaders were windows phone Coffee reader and some others like Bookviser that converted curly quotes in entities to straight quotes although in other books what have UTM curly quotes they were ok.

XHTML only supports a very small subset of named entities. The first ones in your list. I don't think you can trust named entity support past those 4 or 5 moving forward.

You don't use &mdash; ?

Dale
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You don't use &mdash; ?
Sorry, I forgot these two items:

&mdash;
&ndash;

XHTML only supports a very small subset of named entities. The first ones in your list.
XHTML 1.1 and EPUB 2.0 support all the named entities from the above list. Please see attached sample EPUB file. It passes through the EPUB validation test as any EPUB file generated by Atlantis.
Attachments
Named entities.epub
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 1305 times