Save to ePub problem - endless loop

General comments and questions. Technical support.
gyuen

Save to ePub problem - endless loop

Post by gyuen »

Hi,

I recently OCRed a book and tried to make an ePub. What happened what Atlantis endless looped, trying to save it, and keep overwriting the ePub and adding more HTML files. I'm not sure what was the issue. Maybe it was that this particular book had one paragraph (in trade paperback size) that's almost 200 pages. Maybe there is some limit to each HTML file in the ePub spec but I'd prefer each section (heading) to be a single file (seems the ePub spec specifies no limits to file size but maybe some readers have 'em) so that page and paragraph breaks are correct. Eventually I had to quit the process near the beginning, so that after the 1st save loop, I could take the ePub and edit all the HTMLs and pretty much combine the whole book into a single HTML file. Since it didn't have chapters or anything, that seems the only way to keep correct breaks.

btw, when I look at style.css, there are somethings like font-size 100% (I think) that could perhaps be removed. Usually I edit in word (with 11 pt font) and then save in Atlantis. Anything that's 100% (font size, font-spacing, …), could it be left out so that whatever ePub reader just uses whatever is default? Cleaner code could be nice.

Some info about max file size.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showth ... p?t=101860

Gary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please email your source document file (RTF, DOC, or DOCX) to support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com?
gyuen

Post by gyuen »

will do.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the document file.

Yes, there is a problem with infinite loop. Atlantis fails to realize that your document contains a huge paragraph occupying about 200 (!) pages. Atlantis tries to generate an EPUB file for your document without exceeding the recommended 300 KB size limit for individual XHTMLs in EPUBs. But it is impossible because that huge paragraph alone exceeds the file size limit. Atlantis never breaks paragraphs into multiple parts when generating EPUB XHTMLs. The next version of Atlantis will have a provision for such cases. Atlantis will not loop endlessly. But one of the XHTMLs from your EPUB package would be greater than 300 KB.

The main problem is not with Atlantis. The problem is with the document content. Such huge paragraphs should never be used in documents. eReaders will have difficulties with displaying EPUBs containing such huge paragraphs. You should divide that "super-paragraph" into actual paragraphs in correspondence with the source OCRed book.
gyuen

Post by gyuen »

thanks for checking it out.

The issue is that the paragraph, in that book, really is that long (and it would be nice to keep without breaks if possible). The 300k limit, I've heard that's only an issue with older ADE readers? I've only looked at it in iBooks where it seems to be fine. Not sure, I was able to get it to work by editing the ePub. I haven't tried it on my other ereader, maybe it'll have issues with the file size.

Luckily, that's the only book I know of like that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just divide that huge paragraph in at least two smaller paragraphs (100 pages each).
gyuen

Post by gyuen »

yeah seems that's the way. from what I hear, there's no specified limit in the ePub spec but some ereaders have their limits. Not often do you see a paragraph like that so at least it's probably just for this case.

On my Sony T1, it seems to work, though sometimes page breaks are strange and don't fill up the page. iBooks seems just fine.

It would be nice if there was some option for it, since at least some readers are ok. yeah it might complicate the UI but it would be nice to have since, from what I can tell, it is technically within spec.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you do not want to make adjustments to your source document, you can convert it to EPUB with the latest "pre-official" beta version of Atlantis 1.6.5.10. Just click here to download its setup file. Run the setup file, and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade your Atlantis. It would not loop endlessly, but one of the XHTMLs from your EPUB would be 300+ KB.
gyuen

Post by gyuen »

admin wrote:If you do not want to make adjustments to your source document, you can convert it to EPUB with the latest "pre-official" beta version of Atlantis 1.6.5.10. Just click here to download its setup file. Run the setup file, and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade your Atlantis. It would not loop endlessly, but one of the XHTMLs from your EPUB would be 300+ KB.
thanks. before, I ended up manually editing the ePub itself, combing the text and editing the other files as necessary. I'd guess this will be the only case where I'll ever need that. Who knows how often others will encounter it.

Thanks for all the help!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is still preferable to have proper paragraphs in your source document. ADE has difficulties with displaying such huge paragraphs.
gyuen

Post by gyuen »

True. Yet the original book is really like that. But since it's the first I've ever encountered, not such a big deal.