behaviour with US international keyboard layout

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
franklekens

behaviour with US international keyboard layout

Post by franklekens »

I have a minor feature request in the way Atlantis handles the input of the ' key when using the US International layout (far and away the most used keyboard layout for Dutch users, and maybe other languages containing a number of diacritical accents as well, I don't know).

With this keyboard layout, if you press ', nothing happens. If you type a vowel after that, the vowel will get an accent like so é. If you type a consonant , the consonant will be preceded by the '. If you type a space after typing the ', the ' will appear.

This is how it works in Atlantis and in other Word processors I use (e.g. MS Word and MS Notepad, to name just a few).
However, what's different is that in those other programmes, the ' will also appear if you type a Return after typing '.
I'd like it if Atlantis could do this as well.

The preferred behaviour would be that the ' appears after pressing return just as it does if you press the spacebar. And the ' (apostrophe, or smart quote depending on your autocorrect settings) should be on the preceding line, i.e. *before* the line break created by the return.
So, also, the return *should* take effect. (This is different from the spacebar. If you want the ' to be followed by a space, you have to press the spacebar twice to get it. But in MS Word, you don't actually have to press return twice to get the line break after the apostrophe).

I hope the request is clear, it's a little hard to describe exactly.

The difference would be this: suppose I'm writing a dialogue. At the end one one person's speech, I end with a quotation mark. Now I have to press:
' + Space + Return
Ideally (like in MS Word or Notepad) I'd only have to press:
' + Return

I get the impression that theoretically it should be possible. Different programmes handle this differently. Another text editor I have does also type a ' when I press return after ', but it puts it on the "wrong" line (i.e. on the new line, after the line break). That would not be what I prefer.

No biggie if it's unfeasible, but I do hope it isn't. Cheers.
admin
Site Admin

Re: behaviour with US international keyboard layout

Post by admin »

I will look into this. Thank you.
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

I have been using the US-International keyboard for over twenty years. I love it, even though I do not need the special characters (habló, Fuß, Füße, château) very often. I have tried to get other people, who only occasionally need the special characters, to adopt it, because becoming accustomed to it only takes about one week.

I checked how Atlantis, LibreOffice, Notepad, Notepad++, and WordPerfect handle this. Each handles the matter as expected if you hit the Spacebar after typing ', but if you hit Enter, each application handles the matter a little differently. I will not attempt to describe what happens, except to note that WordPerfect just throws away the ' character entirely. I did not check Microsoft Word, because I no longer purchase software application licenses from that monopolistic Leviathan, and I will be the last person in the world who switches to a "subscription" plan. :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Any next release of Atlantis will have this feature.