Whole document Page Settings sometimes does not happen

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Alan

Whole document Page Settings sometimes does not happen

Post by Alan »

I have noticed that sometimes when I Insert a file at the end of a book I am working on and with the Insert point set in the first section only, that doing Page Settings > Apply to: Whole document sometimes does not work. I can see this when I delete the Section Break (Continuous) between Section #1 and #2 and the text onscreen shifts past the right side of the screen (Maximize on portrait orientation).
On the most recent instance I rolled back (Ctrl+z) to the operation before doing Whole document and advanced 1 (Redo), then checked Section #2 Page Settings to confirm they still had the inserted file values.
This has been happening with the Atlantis 4.3 versions.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Re: Whole document Page Settings sometimes does not happen

Post by admin »

As always, it would be great to have a sample document (or documents) and the step-by-step procedure.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I can give you a step-by-step procedure which is new with 4.3 but as far as I can tell this occurs randomly and infrequently, say every 50 to 100 times. I will capture the next time with document copy and inserted file.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you delete a continuous section break, two sections get merged (combined) into one. The combined section has the properties of the second section that followed the deleted section break. So if you get incorrect page margins after deleting a section break, something was wrong with the margins of section #2 in first place.

Still it would be good if you emailed your “main” document and the document that you inserted at the end of the main document. Maybe it would give some clues.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I posted this because Section #2 page settings had not been changed after Apply to: had Whole document displayed with Section #1 margins and OK was clicked. As you said there was something wrong with the margins of section #2, which is they did not change when Whole document was applied.
The inserted/scan file was deleted after the paragraphs had been roughly formatted before moving on to the next scanned file, which is my standard procedure. The Trash Can is emptied each night before doing backup. The inserted file might have been the cause like other of my problems during Beta, but I have to take immediate action to preserve it. I will do this when the problem crops up again.
I can send you the file I am currently having the problem with but I am putting about 40 to 50 pages a day into it and will probably finish additions tomorrow.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Alan

Post by Alan »

The failure of Whole document to be applied just happened. I will email the main document and the inserted file.
The main file has the inserted file in it. There are 5 sections in it and sections 2, 3, 4 margins were not changed, this comprises the total of the inserted file. Sections 1 and 5 are the original file before insertion.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you. Will see if I can notice anything abnormal.
Alan

Post by Alan »

It has happened again. I am attaching the 2 files involved. The file with the 8-digit number (today's date) was left in the state immediately after applying Whole document.

This is the procedure I have been following ever since 4.3 was released.
File is 2 section with Section Break (Continuous). Place insert point at end-of-file in section 2.
Click Tool Bar Insert file icon.
Double click top entry in OCR scan folder (number 070, sorted ascending).
Hold Shift key and click before end of section 1 to select all of entered file and last lines of section 1.
Click Style drop-down top entry (_normalize OCR).
Click Columns icon drop-down 1 column.
Tap left arrow to place insert point solely in section 1.
Click Page settings icon.
Click Apply to: drop-down Whole document and verify it was selected.
Click OK.
Enter bookmark at beginning of inserted text for page number.
Remove all blank space between section 1 end-of-text and beginning of inserted text to join section 2 to section 1. This is when I see that Whole document was not applied from section 1 as section 2's margins are applied to whole document.
Attachments
Swordsmen in the Sky 20230625.rtf
File being built into book.
(161.78 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Swordsmen in the Sky 070.rtf
File inserted.
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I understand this might be frustrating. But I have checked everything multiple times. And I really cannot suggest an explanation.

If you like, I could send you a special build of Atlantis that would monitor the events related to the "page settings" dialog.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi admin,
If the build keeps a short history of the page settings then send it to me. This way I can compare it to what I did near the time of the failure. Currently I know that Whole document was displayed along with section 1's margins, though I click OK in less than a second after reading that, and don't find out till deleting the 1st section break. As I can easily Undo this change starting with build 4.3 I can live with it and redo page settings which always sets them correctly.
If you have anything else for me to try I am willing to do it as long as it does not appreciatively slow me down.
Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please open your private messages, and download the setup of the debug build of Atlantis. Run it, and complete the install. You can install to the current folder of the standard version of Atlantis.
Run the installed Atlantis, and use it as you usually do. If the problem happens again, please email the “Page settings.log” file from the Atlantis “User files” folder indicated on the “Load/Save” tab of the “Tools | Options...” dialog (normally, “My documents\Atlantis\Page settings.log”).
Alan

Post by Alan »

It has happened again. I Ctrl+z out of the margin changes and closed the file. I am sending you the file, the inserted file and the log file.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the log file.

“Destination: 3” from the following line from your log:

7/3/23 2:09:45 am/pm - Destination: 3

means “apply to this section”. In your case, the first item – “This section” – of the “Apply to” box was selected when you clicked OK. I understand that you meant to click the “Whole document” item. But if you pull down the list of the “apply to” destinations, highlight the “Whole document” item by hovering the mouse pointer over it, then click right below this item, the highlighted item would not be registered. This is the only explanation I can suggest.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I know for a fact that only Whole document was displayed as I have been checking that every time since I reported this happening. Specifically this time after the Page settings box opened I clicked the dropdown, selected Whole document, saw Whole document only in field, then scanned down margins to confirm they were for section #1 before clicking OK; all this in less than 1 second. You have confirmed that this is a Windows problem. I believe it is related to mouse movement when clicking and have seen it in other software on my computer where what is clicked/selected is immediately displayed then reverts back as if the immediate mouse movement after clicking is interrupted as a click & drag instead of select and cancels the selection.

Thanks for your help. This resolves it for me. I am now going to the latest beta.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit