Atlantis Word Processor 4.3 (beta)

General comments and questions. Technical support.
admin
Site Admin

Atlantis Word Processor 4.3 (beta)

Post by admin »

Atlantis Word Processor 4.3 is available for betatesting.

This version is a major update to the Atlantis engine with big changes to a wide range of features and elements of the program. With the fully-Unicode text processing core, this version adds improved support for international texts. It also includes a number of performance- and stability-related improvements.

Please use the link below to download the setup file of the beta version of Atlantis, and use it to install the beta on your computer:

Setup file of Atlantis Word Processor 4.3.0.0 (size: 2.9 MB) (build e7, released on May 7, 2023)

You can install this new version to the current home folder of Atlantis on your system, if any, or to a different folder. If you decide to revert to the previous version, you can download & run its setup file to downgrade.

Use the "Help | Check for Updates..." menu command to keep your beta copy of Atlantis up-to-date.

Please post your comments, suggestions, or bug reports to this forum (click "Post reply" below). You can also email them to support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com. If you encounter any difficulty with this version of Atlantis, try to tell us as much and as accurately as possible about the problem.
Alan

Re: Atlantis Word Processor 4.3 (beta)

Post by Alan »

Hi admin,
I see that on words split across lines by Atlantis that the previous hyphen is replaced by what looks like a Low Line, is this deliberate so that at a glance you can tell the word does not have a hypen/dash in it?

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please post a screen capture?
Alan

Post by Alan »

I have attached the window screen shot which has 4 instances of a Low Line appearing instead of a hyphen for words split from the end of one line to the next line. The first hyphenation is at the end of the top line with the phrase ", the He—brews had Samson,". I had to crop the image as it was slightly over 2MB.

Alan
Attachments
Hyphenation Low Line.PNG
Hyphenation Low Line.PNG (421.08 KiB) Viewed 277577 times
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the screenshot. The display is not OK. But I cannot reproduce this on my systems.

Do you get those short underscores in any document? What about applying a different font to the document text? Any difference?
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi admin,
I get the short underscores in every document since switching to the Beta, before the Beta hyphenation showed the standard hyphen. All my documents are in Google's Noto font family. Hyphens show instead of the short underscore in Arial, Tahoma, and Verdana. The Noto font family is the only one I have been able to find where the sans serif uppercase I looks like a Roman Numeral one and handles italic spacing from non-italic properly, plus it has all of the characters I use in markup and formatting.

I had an idea just now looking at the various fonts that maybe the short underscore is the hyphen displaced down to the font baseline. I don't know if this will make sense to you or be of any help.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the info.

This glitch cab be reproduced with any so called “high font”. Google Noto fonts are such “high fonts”. Cambria Math is a very good example of a “high font”. Older versions of Atlantis display text formatted with a “high font” with extra line spacing. Version 4.3 is supposed to display “high fonts” correctly (with correct line spacing).

The hyphen glitch has been fixed. You can choose the “Help | Check for Updates...” menu command of your beta copy to update it.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks admin,
It looks great.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Just to add to the discussion ...

Yesterday I tried an example similar to the one that Alan gave.

I used Atlantis version 4.3.0.0 b1. I used the Noto Serif font (my usual font). The hyphenation at line-end worked perfectly.

I tried it again today, still with version 4.3.0.0 b1, but with Noto Sans font. Everything worked perfectly.

Maybe everything worked properly because I performed the tests on an old laptop that is running Windows 7 (yeah, I know it is archaic :( ). The font version is listed as "version 2.000". Because this is not my primary computer, I have not kept everything updated, and that may not be the newest version.

But of course I always use the most up-to-date Atlantis version, and I will today download the b2 beta.
Alan

Post by Alan »

In version (b2) Small caps has an alignment problem. The lowercase caps are not on the baseline but their tops are up slightly above the tops of the uppercase caps. This is with the high font of Noto Sans.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Alan

Post by Alan »

I have a problem with Spellcheck caused by 2 Unicode characters I use for markup. The 2 characters are U+200B Zero Width Space, which I will call Up for convenience. and U+FEFF Zero Width No-Break Space, which I will call Mark for convenience. I use Up for ending headings that do not end in a standard end of sentence/paragraph character. I have a heading with a last line of ‶Between Jupiter and Saturn​″ and Spellcheck has red underlined Saturn as misspelled because Up follows it. I markup abbreviations inside sentences with Mark following the period of the abbreviation, Spellcheck red underlines the abbreviation as misspelled even if it is in my abbreviations dictionary. I think that Spellcheck should not consider these part of the word as they are Unicode spaces. I would like Spellcheck to treat all Unicode spaces as the regular space (^32).

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Alan beat me to it. I signed into the forum just now to report a problem with small caps.

This worked fine yesterday with beta version b1. But when I resumed work today with beta b2, I saw the that small caps are messed up.

I cannot figure out how to upload a graphic right now. (Do I have to upload to a website somewhere, first, and then use a URL link to the file on that website?)

In any case, what happens with the small caps is this: The lower-case small caps are aligned properly. But the upper-case small caps are pushed downward. I would stress again that the lower-case small caps appear to have the proper spacing above the line. But the upper-case small caps are depressed.

You know how it is ... You fix one problem and introduce another in the process. The nature of programming! :)
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Here is the graphic, if I can get it to work, to show the problem with small caps:

I put a couple of "hand" cursors into the image to point at the problem areas.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have a problem with Spellcheck caused by 2 Unicode characters I use for markup.
the upper-case small caps are pushed downward
Fixed. Thank you, Roland and Alan. Please use “Check for updates”.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks admin,
My files are once again Spellcheck clear after I go through the spell check list beforehand plus the formatting looks great.

Alan
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Problem with small caps is fixed! Thank you. :D

I also want to say, for anyone lurking out there, that Atlantis is wonderful software. As someone who has been using computers for over 35 years, I can testify that it is a powerful document processor. Footnotes, endnotes, graphics, tables, format palette, and many other features make it a joy to use. (Just please work on adding a Track Changes feature — to round out this fantastic application!)

I am currently working on several projects, including a book. I will report any glitches in the beta that I find. :)
fergch

Post by fergch »

Here is something that has changed for me...
I have a document that is many pages, and is deliberate in page breaks, and is mostly Gill Sans MP font.

In the pre-beta the document was set out, and not in the Beta version, the line spacing is very different, and more compressed so pages are noe displaying and printing at roughly three quarters smaller (compressed) print layout of the previous version.
The tab layout is as before, just the line density seems to have changed.

Also, when editing a list in a document, previously all working in the previous version, and allowing similar edits, the Beta version produces a series of errors, and the awp.exe crashes, needs task manager end task.

and this is the copy of errors

Log of commands for D:\Documents\Selling Stuff.rtf:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rstroud wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:30 pm I also want to say, for anyone lurking out there, that Atlantis is wonderful software.
Thank you, Roland.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Also, when editing a list in a document, previously all working in the previous version, and allowing similar edits, the Beta version produces a series of errors, and the awp.exe crashes
Is this error reproducible? If so, how?
I have a document that is many pages, and is deliberate in page breaks, and is mostly Gill Sans MP font. In the pre-beta the document was set out, and not in the Beta version, the line spacing is very different, and more compressed so pages are now displaying and printing at roughly three quarters smaller (compressed) print layout of the previous version. The tab layout is as before, just the line density seems to have changed.
Version 4.3 indeed computes paragraph line height and spacing differently than previous versions of Atlantis. But with the new algorithm the pagination is nearly identical to what you would get for your document in MS Word and other popular word processors. Yes, for some fonts (especially the so called “high fonts”) the display might be denser in version 4.3. But the new display is much closer to the “perfect display” than the old one.

We apologize for any inconvenience. But these changes are meant to improve the display, not make things worse.
fergch

Post by fergch »

Hi Admin

Yes, repeatable in a new document made in the Beta version, and repeatable in usind the old document in the Beta version.

Reverting to the old non Beta version of Atlantis, the document does not cause errors, and does not crash.

Then back to the Beta version, awp.exe crashes when editing the listed document, (using numbering).
Make new document, add a list, save reopen, edit say adding a new entry in the middle of the list, sequence of ettors as described, and crash.

Atlantis is so good, small, rapid loading (and portable), and handles large documents so well I have no need to use MS Word, and so comparison to the page layout in word is noticed.

Page breaks are preserved, but the line density caused the new layout in pages not to look the same and will mean all my documents where I have careful page layout and page breaks will have to be edited, not ideal, and does not encourage me to upgrade.