Copying Images Freezes Program

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Qwertyportne

Copying Images Freezes Program

Post by Qwertyportne »

I frequently want to add the contents of a new document to an existing document. When I try to copy the new document so I can add it to the existing document, the program freezes. This only happens when the new document contains one or more images. I shut the frozen document down with the Task Manager, then go back and delete all the images, copy the remaining document (now just text), into the existing document, then insert each new image into the appropriate place in the existing document. Unless I don't have each new image in a folder. In that case I have to screen save each image in the new document, paste it into my graphics program, save it to a folder, then insert it into the existing document. Yeah, it's a time consuming, frustrating problem. Can someone get me past this problem? Sure hope so!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Copying Images Freezes Program

Post by admin »

Before copy/pasting contents of the "new document" (including images), please press Ctrl+S to save the "new document" as a document file. Then email this document file to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com.
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

Just for the record ...

I usually do not check these things out myself, because the statement of the problem is almost always confusing to me. However, in this case I ran a test. The procedure worked perfectly. Here were my steps:
  • I created a short document (no graphics) to be my already existing document. I saved it as an .rtf file. Generally I save my files as .docx, but people here seem to use .rtf, so I went with that format.
  • I created a short second file (with two graphics) to be my "new" document. I saved the file as an .rtf file.
  • I performed a copy of this new document with Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C.
  • I pasted the copied material into the "existing" document that did not have graphics.
  • The procedure worked perfectly. I had a combined document that looked great.
EDIT to add: I was using the most up-to-date version of Atlantis. Windows 7 (yeah, I know, it's ancient).
Qwertyportne

Post by Qwertyportne »

The problem won't allow me to copy and paste my document and send it to support. All attempts to copy my documents with one or more images freezes Atlantis. But I'll give the RTF format a try. I'm concerned, however, that saving my DOC file as an RTF file will alter my styles. And I'm using Windows 10, which had "suffered" several Microsoft updates, and may not, therefore, be Atlantis that's giving me the problem?
Qwertyportne

Post by Qwertyportne »

Okay, I tried saving my DOC file as an RTF file and then a TXT file and trying to copy images in either format froze Atlantis. I've got the latest version of Atlantis and Windows. Restarting doesn't help. What the heck is going on? Surely someone on this forum has had that problem.
rstroud

Post by rstroud »

The problem won't allow me to copy and paste my document and send it to support. All attempts to copy my documents with one or more images freezes Atlantis.
I am probably not understanding something that you are saying. If so, I apologize. I am a bit dumb when it comes to understanding such questions, though I am quite good at using computers and programs.

I am sure you know that you can send the file without copying it. You just email the file by attaching it to your email. The sending does not physically remove your file from your computer.

On a slightly different but related subject. Unless you have a good reason to use the .doc file format, do not use it. I think (not sure) that these files were subject to corruption. I always use .docx, which is much better.
Qwertyportne

Post by Qwertyportne »

Thanks, I know I could just attach it, but I thought the other guy, well, I misinterpreted what he was saying. And I tried DOCX and it too freezes when trying to copy images. But I need DOC because I upload to Smashwords. A few years ago, I had this problem, and several others did too. Then someone on this forum told us how to fix it. Then my computer crashed, so I bought another one and downloaded the latest version of Atlantis. Which revived the problem. Yuck! It's not the end of the world because I do a screen save on my illustrations, save them as jpeg images and get on with my project. It's just really time-consuming. So, it's difficult to understand that a tech or software engineer at Atlantis can't tell me why I get this problem and very few others do.
Qwertyportne

Post by Qwertyportne »

And I forgot to write down the fix... :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If I understand you correctly, you have two document files: “document 1” and “document 2”. When you try to copy text+images from “document 1” to “document 2”, the program freezes. Could you please email the “document 1” file as attachment to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com?
Qwertyportne

Post by Qwertyportne »

When I take a document back to the factory settings the problem doesn't happen. I have no idea what setting I've been using that makes the program freeze when I try to copy an image from one document to another. For now, I'm just leaving all my documents at the factory settings. If anyone knows what setting could upset the apple cart let me know. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you have not replaced the "faulty" Atlantis.ini (the file with your Atlantis settings) from the "My documents\Atlantis" folder with the factory settings, you can email that INI file to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com.