4.2.2.0/1 Search issue

General comments and questions. Technical support.
patr

4.2.2.0/1 Search issue

Post by patr »

Hi,

Since v4.2.2.0 (also in v4.2.2.1) a huge part of search functionality has gone by the wayside. (This may have to do with the "major revision of the AutoCorrect tool.")

Using Atlantis a lot for work with text that is replete with diacritical marks, all the way up to v4.2.1.1 (so, forever) I was able to enter something in the find/search control board on the left side without diacritical marks and Atlantis would find the text. Since v4.2.2.0, this is no longer the case.

Example, a line in Sanskrit transliteration (IAST):

dṛṣṭvā tu pāṇḍavānīkaṃ vyūḍhaṃ duryodhanastadā

Before v4.2.2.0, I would be able to enter "drst" ("sight", "seeing") in search and it would include the above line (including 18 other lines in that particular document). Since v4.2.2.0, nothing comes up. Now, I would have to enter "dṛṣṭ" to even get a hit at all. I'm not sure I can adequately convey what a huge deal that is. It represents a huge drop in function and exponentially increases my time spent. Plus, I will not be able to find many things because adding diacritical marks like that is just not even feasible for search.

The logic of the matter is this: the letters are the basis. The diacritical marks, accents, etc., are modifiers of the letter. The letter remains the foundation. Search/find should look for the letter.

Please, please, restore that functionality. Or, if not the default behavior, please allow an option to change the setting for this. I consider it vital.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: 4.2.2.0/1 Search issue

Post by admin »

Before v4.2.2.0, I would be able to enter "drst" ("sight", "seeing") in search and it would include the above line (including 18 other lines in that particular document).
This was a side-effect of using “linguistic comparison” in previous versions of Atlantis. Now Atlantis uses a more strict comparison function.

Ignoring accents (and other diacritics) during search is not a standard behavior. I am not sure that you could do “accent-insensitive” search in other word processors. But possibly Atlantis will soon have a new “Ignore accents” search option.
patr

Post by patr »

Thank you for considering it. I'll use v4.2.1.1 for now as I use that "function" all the time -- even if it was a side-effect :)

The texts are just too complex and voluminous to do strict searches, especially since in the various textual variances are indicated by different diacritics in the transliteration schemes, so getting to the root word in a compound then becomes nigh impossible.

Especially painful since I have a collection of IAST texts in .rtf (yes, saved in Atlantis) that I now effectively can't search in anymore. Even if somehow one could search strictly, one would miss the variances of a given root or word, which as said will differ according to context, compound-form, etc.

I think I get what you're saying, and perhaps you fear that including the function isn't a good option as it may not function completely as desired. But perhaps, if included, a disclaimer could be given in Help or something, that this is a experimental or raw function to ignores diacritics and such. Something like that? I know it's painful when programming isn't elegant :D

Anything you could do toward this, I would deeply apprectiate :!:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The next release of Atlantis will perform accent-insensitive search when the "Exact match" option of the Find/Replace tool is off.
patr

Post by patr »

Thank you so much!

Honestly, Atlantis is mahiṣṭha -- the greatest. And I will again be able to search "mahistha" and still find it :D
patr

Post by patr »

Confirmed that (non-strict) search works again in 4.2.2.2. Thanks :!: