Second instance with own settings

Request new features or suggest modifications to existing features of Atlantis.
Richard Watts

Second instance with own settings

Post by Richard Watts »

I'd love it if it were possible to open a second instance of Altantis with different settings remembered compared to a first opened instance.

The scenario is like this: Altantis opens, and loads multiple files with remembered settings. Then a second instance is opened in a separate window with its own remembered settings and its own remembered multiple files being openable as well.

I know a second instance can already be opened and used, but settings are not remembered for one of the instances, so if you close the 'wrong' one first it loses the files remembered, and settings for control board, opened in the other instance. What I am looking for is the ability to have Altantis running twice under different settings, as if it were operating as two separate apps?

I would be willing to pay for a second licence to get this feature, but suspect conflicts might make it unworkable, unless named differently somehow? Is this plausible?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Second instance with own settings

Post by admin »

The current version of Atlantis supports multiple instances of Atlantis with different settings. Here is how to proceed:

If you have an Atlantis shortcut on the Windows Desktop, create its second copy: you can simply Ctrl+drag it to another location on the Desktop. Double-click the first Atlantis shortcut, choose the "Tools | Options..." menu command, and click "Save to File..." to save the Atlantis settings to a new INI file (let's say, "Second.ini") under the "My documents\Atlantis" folder. Then right-click the second Atlantis shortcut, click "Properties...", and append " -sfn Second.ini" (without quotes) to the shortcut's target:

"C:\Program Files\Atlantis\awp.exe" -sfn Second.ini

or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlantis\awp.exe" -sfn Second.ini

OK out of the shortcut properties dialog.

From now on, the second Atlantis shortcut would use its own INI file. You could configure both instances independently on each other.

Storing custom INI files under the "My documents\Atlantis" folder is not mandatory. But if you save it to a different folder, the shortcut's target must include the full path to the INI file:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlantis\awp.exe" -sfn "E:\John\Second.ini"
Richard Watts

Re: Second instance with own settings

Post by Richard Watts »

It works, thanks! Will make my work life a lot easier, much appreciated.