"Backup" freezes every file

General comments and questions. Technical support.
harolnick

"Backup" freezes every file

Post by harolnick »

This has now happened constantly to all my created files during the last ten days.

When I am ready to close a file (let's call it Orph which I tried to create today), a box (with an error sound) says "Error creating backup file Orph22 04 28 1906 rtf" For document Orph22 04 28 1906 rtf, Please check whether file is not blocked by another application and there is enough space on the destination drive." (with a box to cancel or save, neither of which I can do.)

Ive tried to find that file, have tried to delete the Orph file, but no good at all.

Must do a story tomorrow, but obviously cant' save any new or old file. I now get that message with everything.

Any help? Should I simply re-install Atlantis? Hope not, and hope you geniuses have a more practical solution. With thanks.
Robert

Re: "Backup" freezes every file

Post by Robert »

There can be several reasons why Atlantis cannot make automatic backups.
First, click "File Save Special > Backup Options…", and make sure that the disk space currently used by the backups is not bigger than the maximum amount of disk space Atlantis can use for backup files.
If there is enough allocated space, you should check if Atlantis can make manual backups. Open any document in Atlantis, edit it one way or another (simply add a space character, for example), and click "File Save Special > Save to Backups". Next, click "File Save Special > View Backups…". If the document you just edited and backed up manually is present among the Atlantis backups, you can be sure that something in your system is preventing Atlantis from making automatic backups.
The likely culprits are Microsoft Defender SmartScreen (aka Windows Defender) and its "Reputation-based protection", or your antivirus. Make sure neither are blocking Atlantis.
You could also try using "LockHunter". It is a free third-party utility available from https://lockhunter.com/index.htm. It might tell you what exactly is blocking Atlantis.
HTH
Robert
harolnick

Post by harolnick »

Whew~! Lots of choices. I'll work on them today. In the meantime, I downloaded \Atlantis again, and it seems to work well. (Though it's hell re-configuring the choices). Many thanks.
Robert

Post by Robert »

If you open the "Options" dialog ("Tools | Options…"), you can use the "Save to File…" button at the bottom of that dialog to save all your current Atlantis settings to an external INI file.
To load the saved settings from such an INI file, click the "Load from File..." button at the bottom of the same "Options" dialog.
This will spare you having to re-configure your choices one by one…
harolnick

Post by harolnick »

as I wrote before, far too many choices. I saw that all my files were okay, then bit the bullet and re-installed Atlantis 1.5.6.5 (which I'd paid for).It took five minutes to set out the configurations. and now I'm off and running. Thanks so much for your help
harolnick

Post by harolnick »

Brilliant idea, Never thought about it, And I'll make a copy of the INI file, so in case Atlantis crashes completely, I can install the original INI file and renew all my past settings. I still don't see how I can delete Clippy Bank (no options on Settings), but I can live with it. As always thanks.
Robert

Post by Robert »

The current version of Atlantis is version 4.1.5.1. Countless improvements and bug corrections have been introduced since version 1.5.6.5, which actually is no longer supported…
If you upgraded to the current 4.x version, you’d be impressed how Atlantis so vastly improved over the years. And you’d support a most worthy project…
Also maybe Atlantis would create its automatic backups flawlessly…
We don't see why on earth you’d want to delete the Atlantis Clippy Bank…, but you can empty it of all contents: "Edit | Clippy Bank > Empty Clippy Bank". The corresponding hot key is "Ctrl+Alt+F8". You can also hide the Clippy Bank: "Edit | Clippy Bank > Hide".
harolnick

Post by harolnick »

You've convinced me. I have deadline in 30 minutes, then will download the latest AWP, break open the piggy-bank and send in all my hard-earned money to Atlantis. All the best