Access Violation

General comments and questions. Technical support.
patr

Post by patr »

I hope 100% you are not involved in the programming aspect of things :)

So Robert, you are saying you have been this intensely involved in Atlantis, and yet when you can produce a reported error *at will*, you then thought it was a good time to change the operating system state you could produce the error on? Is that what you're saying? I can't even wrap my head around that line of thinking. I would freeze everything right then and there and keep it that way until the source of the av error (at least the one you're able to create) was hunted down. When one thinks about that for a second or two, it's really just astounding that you did that.

On another note, I have used Atlantis for a long time without stability issues (other than the av error) and have at times used very large, complex documents and never had a problem with those. So I know it's not some all-out instability and I'm glad for that.
patr

Post by patr »

Just to be sure: I contended you could not produce that av error at will, but you maintained you could. And the moment I indicated that this would be extremely useful for the programmers, it suddenly doesn't work anymore on your end. Is that right?
Robert

Post by Robert »

I can't even wrap my head around that line of thinking
And you are the one who accused me of …"towering prejudices"…

It’s just that I haven’t got so much of a chip on my shoulder as you suggested so nicely in this thread.

A singularly "elusive" bug in a single user’s system(s) is not worth any more of my time and attention. Sorry to be such a disappointment to you!

In any case, your problem cannot be reproduced on our system(s). And whether I am involved in the programming aspect of things or not is completely irrelevant. Bugs, if any, cannot be fixed in a vacuum. Not even in this vacuous thread!
patr

Post by patr »

If the welfare and stability of Atlantis would be of great importance to me (it is, but only more so in your case I would imagine, given the history you mentioned) I would go to great lengths to ensure that a reproducible error could be sorted out, especially if I would be *the only one* being able to reproduce it at will -- and even more so if I were in the middle of a discussion about just that. I would definitely not be updating my system at that point, right in the middle of it. But that's just me, I guess. I really can't understand that, but if it makes sense to you then so be it. I don't see what prejudices have to do with it. Robert, the guy who thinks bug reports are the actual bugs Atlantis has to be defended against.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you get a "normal usage" error, please post a screenshot of the Atlantis main window plus the error address. Thank you.
patr

Post by patr »

admin wrote:If you get a "normal usage" error, please post a screenshot of the Atlantis main window plus the error address. Thank you.
Will do. Thank you.

EDIT: Meanwhile, another uninstall access violation:
Attachments
Image 1.png
Image 1.png (86.1 KiB) Viewed 13042 times
Robert

Post by Robert »

patr

Post by patr »

:) I'll read it, if you guys promise to read the following which I feel will be more fruitful: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/621 ... ion-errors

I'm not saying Atlantis is programmed in Delphi or not.
djsmith911

Re: Access Violation

Post by djsmith911 »

This seems like a good place to report the access violation I experienced while removing documents from my Document project. I only experienced it once but all I did was remove a document from my document library and got an Access violation. I had added and removed one or two documents before it happened. I just noticed the update to vs. 4.1.4.7, so maybe you already fixed it.

Atlantis version: 4.1.4.6
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is this error reproducible?
djsmith911

Post by djsmith911 »

It hasn't happened since the update, but I haven't been doing a lot of adding/removing documents from the project either. But I'll certainly let you know if I encounter any more Access violations.

I've done 2 updates since the access violation and am now running v. 4.1.5.1