Sometimes when opening associated files from explorer

General comments and questions. Technical support.
graatch

Sometimes when opening associated files from explorer

Post by graatch »

Sometimes when opening associated files from explorer. Atlantis opens a new instance of the program instead of adding a tab to an existing instance. This causes it to attempt to open every document again, asking if you want to make a copy (since the other Atlantis instance is already editing whatever files you have open.) This is if you have it set to reopen documents obviously. This only happens once in a while but unpredictable.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When double-clicking a document file in your file explorer, please make sure that the "old" instance of Atlantis is not displaying a modal dialog.
ironhat

Post by ironhat »

A modal dialog??!!??

Code: Select all

[list][color=blue][/color]  [code]Holy crap, I'm 70 y.o. and don't have a clue what you are saying.  Although I don't currently have 
this issue I'm trying to say that someone of my age/aptitude may come across 
this during a search for a same or similar problem.  Rock on Atlantis!![/code]
ironhat

Post by ironhat »

See what I mean by aptitude! I even b****ed-up my reply but you get the drift.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Here is from Modal and Modeless Dialog Boxes:
Modal dialog boxes, which require the user to respond before continuing the program.
Modeless dialog boxes, which stay on the screen and are available for use at any time but permit other user activities.
ironhat

Post by ironhat »

Yeah, Robert, still nothing. I'm a visual learner and don't have an investment in this anyway so, don't waste your time on me!
Thanks anyway
rstroud

Second instance of Atlantis

Post by rstroud »

Yeah, Robert, still nothing. I'm a visual learner and don't have an investment in this anyway so, don't waste your time on me!
Thanks anyway.
Ironhat, all that the *modal dialog window* means is that the current open Atlantis program is stuck where it is until you do something in the dialog window that is open. You have seen this kind of thing. You have to click OK or CANCEL or do something in a window. Otherwise, the program just sits there with an open dialog window. If you try to open a file by double-clicking on a filename while the modal window is still open, Atlantis will open a second copy of itself.

At least, that is how I understand the whole thing.
graatch

Post by graatch »

When double-clicking a document file in your file explorer, please make sure that the "old" instance of Atlantis is not displaying a modal dialog.
Seems to work, thank you.

Modal dialog -- example is the menu when you "open file" with CTRL+O. It's waiting for you to pick a file, hence it is waiting for user action.[/quote]
ironhat

Post by ironhat »

Thanks, rstroud, for finally giving me a complete explanation. Simple, but pretty much what this unwashed user needed so, thanks again.
rstroud

The "Modal" Issue

Post by rstroud »

You are welcome, Ironhat.

I only understand things at the complete idiot's level myself. :)

And I am also a visual learner. I took one of those tests one time that show whether you are "visual" or "auditory" in how you learn. I had a 50/50 score. But I know that I learn much more easily when I can see an illustrative graphic of some kind.
graatch

Post by graatch »

Hmm, so I have found that this does sometimes happen when I don't have a modal dialog open. Not sure why, everything seems normal in the existent instance as far as I can see. Anyone else this is true for? Version 4.1.3.2
Robert

Post by Robert »

Modal or not modal, is there any open dialog in the existent instance of Atlantis when this happens? Which dialog (screen capture if at all possible)?
When this happens, is there any indication in the status bar of the existent instance of Atlantis that a background operation is in progress?
graatch

Re: Sometimes when opening associated files from explorer

Post by graatch »

Modal or not modal, is there any open dialog in the existent instance of Atlantis when this happens? Which dialog (screen capture if at all possible)?
Taking place consistently right now, with no dialog present.
2021-10-29 02_29_11-Window.png
2021-10-29 02_29_11-Window.png (63.17 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Any file opens up a new Atlantis
2021-10-29 02_29_52-New folder.png
2021-10-29 02_29_52-New folder.png (16.98 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
2nd instanced:
2021-10-29 02_33_02-Greenshot.png
2021-10-29 02_33_02-Greenshot.png (90.88 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
As can be seen I tried it with the control board closed in the existing instance too. Weird stuff!

With files that aren't just empty docs it'll ask this when opening the new instance:
2021-10-29 02_36_09-Atlantis Word Processor.png
2021-10-29 02_36_09-Atlantis Word Processor.png (6.68 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

graatch wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:38 am As can be seen I tried it with the control board closed in the existing instance too. Weird stuff!
If there is a running instance of Atlantis, and the main window of Atlantis is not locked/disabled in any way, and Atlantis is not busy performing a bulky operation, that running instance of Atlantis is supposed to open the document file double-clicked in the file manager. There must be a reason why this doesn't happen on your system.

I suppose you don't have utilities running in background that might mess with the "enabled/disabled" status of windows of other applications.

Please choose the "Tools | Factory Settings…" menu command of Atlantis, and click "Launch a test copy of Atlantis with factory settings". Then close the "standard" copy of Atlantis, and try opening a document file through the file manager. Do you get an extra instance of Atlantis?
graatch

Post by graatch »

Hmm, issue isn't happening right now either way, but as soon as it does I'll test that suggestion. Thanks for the help. I'll also think about what other applications might fit the bill you mention, and specifically when it happens I'll try and go through them to ask myself whether that could be the issue.