Read-only Aggravation

General comments and questions. Technical support.
harolnick

Read-only Aggravation

Post by harolnick »

I must have made a foolish error. Every document I make comes out as a "Read-Only" document. Thus, no additions or subtractions. If "Read-Only" is somehow a default, how do I get rid of it? Yes, I've tried (or think I've tried) all the solutions, There must be an easy one from you helpful savants. Thanks
Robert

Post by Robert »

The most likely culprit is your antivirus or “security suite” trying to be “helpful” and blocking Atlantis as malware or ransomware. Try registering Atlantis (i.e. its executable “awp.exe”) as a safe application with your security/antivirus application.
For example, if you are using the AVAST antivirus, you need to register “awp.exe” as an “allowed app” with AVAST. Otherwise, “awp.exe” will be considered as ransomware by AVAST. You might want to take a look at the following pages:
Ransomware Shield - FAQs | Avast
How to use Avast Ransomware Shield | Avast
“awp.exe” is installed in "C:\Program Files\Atlantis" on a 32-bit systems, and in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atlantis" on a 64-bit system. Whitelist “awp.exe” with your security application.
HTH
Robert
harolnick

Read-only Aggravation

Post by harolnick »

Thanks. Something must have worked. 1. Followed your instruction. 2. Created a file, saved it,added a few letters as a test and....3, This time, it didn't even get to "read-only" It wouldn't save. Said error in saving backup. 4. Didn't want to bother you again, so posted on Google, and was told to go into services, find Windows Back and Volume Shadow (??) and make them automatic. Still didn't work, so I rebooted everything and......And a) it gets the backup;l and b) I don't get "read-only". A longish journey, but so far, so good. Your reply somehow worked!!.
Robert

Post by Robert »

I forgot to say that it is often necessary to reboot Windows after making changes to the antivirus options…
harolnick

Post by harolnick »

Aha! Well, I rebooted once after several operations, so let's say that yours was the antidote, It saves deleting Atlantis and starting all over again. At any rate, it's a terrific program, and this was my first problem. All the best and stay healthy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The next release of Atlantis will display warnings in cases when it is denied proper access to a document file.