include filename?

General comments and questions. Technical support.
jsthomas

include filename?

Post by jsthomas »

Hi -- I've inserted an image file to a document; What I'm looking for is how to insert the image filename too. But not by typing it :)

Can anyone advise

Thanks
Jeff
Regards,
Jeff
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is no automatic way. Sorry.
rstroud

Images and filenames

Post by rstroud »

I do not know if this is what you want to do, but let me suggest a workaround that may meet your needs.

STEP 1
Create a blank line for your picture.

STEP 2
Below that, create a blank line for the filename.

STEP 3
Open a free utility called Q-Dir (see below for details of how to get it). This is a file manager that I have been using for probably at least a dozen years. It is all that I use. I never use what comes from Microsoft to manage files.

STEP 4
Find your picture with Q-Dir. Right-click on the filename. An option to Copy Path or Save as Path will appear in the pop-up. Left-click that option. The path to the filename is saved to the clipboard. You can paste this onto the line for the filename.

STEP 5
Insert your picture onto the line just above the filename.

You now have an inserted picture and a caption (filename with path) below it. You may want to edit out some of the path and only leave the filename itself.

How to Get Q-Dir

The link is here:

http://www.softwareok.com/?Download=Q-D ... taller.zip

The utility has a lot of options, and it takes some time to learn how to use them. However, all you want to be able to do initially is to find the file and copy the path to it. This will be a lot easier than typing out the filenames.

Q-Dir has many nice features. I use it all the time to drag-and-drop files from one folder to another.

It is available in various languages, I think. I accidentally got the German version the last time that I downloaded an upgrade, but that was no problem for me, since I speak German as a second language.

Q-Dir is upgraded frequently. The company also has a lot of other freeware that you might want to check out.

I hope this helps. :)
Robert

Post by Robert »

If you need to insert the file “short” name without the file type extension, all you need to do is this:
1. Right-click the file name in Windows Explorer.
2. Choose “Rename” from the menu.
3. Press Ctrl+C on your keyboard.
4. Press Ctrl+V into Atlantis.

If you need to insert the file “short” name with its file type extension, repeat steps 1 and 2 above, then press Ctrl+A, followed by Ctrl+C, and press Ctrl+V into Atlantis.

If you need to insert the file “long name with path”, you could install Path Copy Copy which is free, open source, and extremely easy to use and customize. You’ll find all details at the Path Copy Copy wiki!. The direct download link is https://github.com/clechasseur/pathcopycopy/releases/download/v19.0/PathCopyCopy19.0.exe
Robert

Post by Robert »

There is a faster solution if you want to insert the image file and its “short” name with or without the file type extension:
1. In Atlantis, click “Insert | Picture…”
2. In the “Open Picture” dialog, select the target picture.
3. Right-click the file name and choose “Rename” from the menu.
4. Press Ctrl+C. Or Ctrl+A followed by Ctrl+C if you want to copy the file type extension.
5. Click “Open” in the “Insert | Picture…” dialog. Atlantis will insert the picture at the current insertion point.
6. Press the Enter key to go to the next paragraph.
7. Press Ctrl+V.
You’ll get the picture followed by its name.
Here is what I got with this method on my system (Windows 10):
rstroud

Picture with name

Post by rstroud »

Now, that is really neat, Robert! :)