STOPPED USING ATLANTIS

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Franklinr

STOPPED USING ATLANTIS

Post by Franklinr »

After several years of buying Atlantis Word Processor and writing many books published on Amazon I have had to simple stop using it. Sometimes when I open the program in the morning it gives me an error message and I cant move forward. I will no longer buy each new release and will use LibreOffice Writer instead. I can't put up with all this hassle.
Attachments
ATLANTIS EXCEPTION.jpg
ATLANTIS EXCEPTION.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
Books by Franklin Reid on Amazon
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you get this error when trying to open a specific document?
rstroud

The exception

Post by rstroud »

Since I am a longtime user of Atlantis and a great fan of the program, I was hoping that Franklin would provide some more information, things like:

Windows version.
Is the computer turned off at night or only put to sleep?
Do you leave any files open when you quit for the day?
More information about the file: such as size; file type (.rtf, .docx).

What have you been doing to get around the problem? Do you have to reboot the computer?

This is very frustrating for you, I know. I hope you will at least let the Atlantis team work on the problem. Some others of us might face the same problem someday, if it does not get resolved.
Franklinr

Access violation

Post by Franklinr »

I use a desktop and I save all files before closing Atlantis so it opens the next day with the files showing. I shut down the computer every night then restart it the next day.
Books by Franklin Reid on Amazon
Robert

Post by Robert »

The latest available version of Atlantis is 4.0.6.12. Try updating your version: Help > Check for Update...
ironhat

Post by ironhat »

Very interested on where this issue stands. It would tell how Atlantis is handling deep issues and the time frame involved.
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

I'm having a similar issue following the last couple of updates, although not sure there's a connection.

I usually have open several files at once, some of which can be circa. 900 pages long. I'm starting to get 'out of memory' come up most days. I thought it might be connected with the back-up disk space which I've increased to maximum, but Atlantis is still crashing.

This is on a Windows 10 PC with Intel i7 processor, using the latest version of Atlantis. I've been using Atlantis for many years with similar files without this issue before.

Any ideas folks?
Robert

Post by Robert »

‘Out of memory’ relates to the amount of RAM available to Atlantis. How much hardware RAM do you have? How much RAM is actually being used (percentage value) when you are running Atlantis with several bulky documents? You’ll get this kind of information in the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape).
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

Thanks for the response, Robert.

This PC is a year old, and has 16 GB RAM (DD4). It might be an issue because I sometimes have CorelDraw 2021 open at the same time, which can eat RAM for breakfast, so combined with a large number of big documents open in Atlantis that would make sense! However, this isn't a change in behaviour on my part, since I've been operating like that for years.

Thinking about it the issue arose after I installed Libreoffice (7.1), but I uninstalled it after Atlantis was corrupted by the Libreoffice installation... or at least in precisely the same hour. I suspect Libreoffice because that has never happened before. So, having got rid of Libreoffice I reinstalled Atlantis and the issues arose ever since.

Apologies, I should have mentioned the above 'minor' detail originally, but put up the original post while trying to hit a deadline, hence in haste (well, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it!).
Robert

Post by Robert »

It is very doubtful that installing LibreOffice would corrupt Atlantis. However, running CorelDraw + LibreOffice “combined with a large number of big documents open in Atlantis” might overload the best of systems.
Could you please try running Atlantis as usual and press “Ctrl+Shift+Escape” to invoke the Windows Task Manager?
Have a look at the entry for Atlantis Word Processor. What percentage of CPU and RAM is Atlantis using?
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

Just opened software as usual, and it shows CPU on between 3%-7%, and memory at 44%. Atlantis is using 0.1% CPU and between 139.8 - 185.3 MB RAM. If I close all other software (by which I mean obvious software such as CorelDraw, etc), memory usage is about 33%.
Robert

Post by Robert »

If you right-click the entry for Atlantis Word Processor in Task Manager, you can choose to have the values in percentage. This is generally more telling.
Now your problem might be linked to a particular document and/or specific actions that you take in Atlantis…
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

I've changed all file formats to rtf., with super compact rtf setting enabled. So far no problems... and rtf. is fine for my purposes.

I get lots of files from other people in a variety of formats, which may have been a factor (although, as stated before, I've been doing that and using Atlantic for many years without any prior issue).

This leads me to a question: I usually have (from Tools - Options) 'clipboard history' enabled, which isn't by default. Is this a possible culprit creating the low memory issue in Atlantis? I also copy & paste to/from other word processors, and wonder if that could have contributed?

Not sure I'm out the woods yet on this, time will tell, but a big thank you to Robert for help given thus far, it is appreciated!
Robert

Post by Robert »

I usually have (from Tools - Options) 'clipboard history' enabled, which isn't by default. Is this a possible culprit creating the low memory issue in Atlantis? I also copy & paste to/from other word processors, and wonder if that could have contributed?
It all depends on the size of the fragments you copy, but the Atlantis 'clipboard history' should not normally create memory issues.
Now if you are running the Windows 10 Clipboard History concurrently with Atlantis own Clipboard History, that might be an issue. You could try switching either of them off.
You might want to take a look at How to Enable and Use Clipboard History on Windows 10
HTH
Robert
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

Well, not out the woods yet; using just rtf. files alone hasn't worked... just had another crash, but this time with an 'access violation' message, code 00401A00

Might be grasping out straws, but the files in use are saved on this pc and synchronise with Drop Box, could that be a factor?

The biggest mystery for me is I've been using Atlantis happily for years, and now something like this is happening most days, so any advice would be gratefully received (especially if it ends up working!).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We need information that could help to reproduce the problem.

Do you get errors after performing certain actions? If so, what are those actions?

Did you try using a test copy of Atlantis with factory settings:
https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/e ... ttings.htm
Do you still get errors under the factory settings?

Do you get errors only when working on a specific document?
Richard Watts

Post by Richard Watts »

Thanks for the quick response.

It occurs using different sets of documents, but after several hours of use.

It appears to occur randomly, but I do copy and paste a lot, probably far more than most users.

I haven't tried factory reset yet, but shall now do so and report back in a few days.

Other than this recent issue, thanks for a great word processor.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did not mean reset. You can just launch a test copy with factory settings.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you get another error, it would help if you made a capture of the entire screen (including the error message box) by pressing the PrintScreen key, and emailed it as a graphic file to support@atlantiswordprocessor.com

Please see this link about taking screen captures.
Last edited by admin on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One more suggestion. Please disable the as-you-type features of Atlantis for a day or two. I mean the "spellcheck as-you-type" feature (can be disabled through the "Spellcheck" tab of the "Tools | Options..." dialog), the "AutoCorrect as-you-type" feature (can be disabled through the "Tools | AutoCorrect Options..." dialog), and the Power Type (the "Tools | Power Type..." menu command). If you do not get errors after disabling a certain feature, the problem is linked to that feature.