Data Mining?

General comments and questions. Technical support.
wood.22mark

Data Mining?

Post by wood.22mark »

It could be coincidence but it happens consistently. A few hours after I write into Atlantis, keywords from my text appear in Google News and in ads on my phone, which is not tied to my computer (I have a Windows computer and an iPhone). The keywords that surprise me are items I have not previously Googled. (anything I previously Googled is not a surprise) The latest example was the word "stargazer." Names of characters (example Kevynn), fictional place names (example Butikao), and made-up words (example berf) show up consistently on Google. Spooky.

1. Does AWP's autocomplete feature use Google autocomplete or share data with it?

2. Does AWP send text to my computer's memory cache?

Either of these might explain keywords from files I have not yet published showing up on Google News and adverts.

Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. No, it does not.

2. I do not know what you mean by "computer's memory cache". The Power Type data collected by Atlantis is stored under the "My documents\Atlantis\Spellcheck" folder, and is not sent to any Web server.

There must be a different explanation.
wood.22mark

Post by wood.22mark »

I am not computer savvy and probably used the wrong term. What I call a memory cache is probably something else. I know that text that I change can be undone. This means the running document is saved in memory someplace. What is the term for that place? Thank you for your quick reply.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Power Type data of Atlantis is used by Atlantis locally on your computer. Atlantis sends no collected data to our server or to anywhere else.

When the Power Data is needed, Atlantis loads it from the file to the RAM. The updated data gets saved back to the file on close.

Maybe you have a keylogging software on your computer?
wood.22mark

Post by wood.22mark »

Thank you. My first thought was a keylogger, too. But, why would a keylogger send data to Google? Sophos found no malware but that doesn't mean my computer is not infected.

How does the autocomplete work in AWP? (without giving up secrets)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can find details here.
wood.22mark

Post by wood.22mark »

Thank you!
Robert

Post by Robert »

The words you give as examples are rather commonly used over the Internet. So it should not come as a surprise if they turn up in Web searches.
“stargazer” is referenced in very popular dictionaries like the MERRIAM-WEBSTER'S UNABRIDGED DICTIONARY. See https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stargazer.
“Kevynn” is feminine of Kevin and might be an unusual first name for females but it is also referenced over the Internet. Google found 74,900 results for “Kevynn”. Also see http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Kevynn.
“Butikao” is commonly used in Portuguese. Google found 4,190 results for “Butikao”. For example, see Butikão Boutique.
You might think of “berf” as a “made-up word” but “berf” is referenced in the very popular Urban Dictionary. See https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=berf.

This said, are you the sole user of your PC or iPhone? Are they password-protected?