ePub: Force new HTML file at RTF heading without page break?

General comments and questions. Technical support.
Alan

ePub: Force new HTML file at RTF heading without page break?

Post by Alan »

For the ePubs I make to read on my Kobo Glo eReader from Atlantis RTF files I randomly run into page breaks between paragraphs where the paragraph styles do not include Page break before. Sometimes on the eReader it has been as bad as 1 line only on the screen. It only happens when the HTML file size exceeds 200K, though not for most of those in that size range. I find this very distracting while reading as I stop to see if I messed up a paragraph style or selected the wrong paragraph style. On a couple of occasions it was my error that caused the problem, but it usually is caused by the eReader firmware.
I have found a work around when I have a heading before the eReader break in the RTF file that begins on a new page of adding to the paragraph a page break which causes that heading to be at the beginning of an HTML file, thus splitting the error causing file into a file under 200K with following new files. I am rarely able to do this as I don't do page breaks for chapters as the RTF is usable for both printing the paperback book and for ePub generation directly for the eReader. I find that a page break before a chapter heading in the ePub does not distract like a page break between paragraphs inside a chapter.
How can I force a heading to cause a new HTML file to be generated during ePub generation without having a Page break before in it?
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By default, Atlantis automatically breaks "too long" HTMLs into smaller ones.

If you are familiar with the Windows regedit utility, you can close all running instances of Atlantis (if any), then use regedit to specify "0" for the following Registry item:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Atlantis Word Processor\LoadSave\Ebook300KB
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The only way to force page breaks at certain locations of your EPUB file is by creating corresponding page breaks in the source document.
Alan

Post by Alan »

For anyone reading this thread the Registry edit reduced the number of my story HTML files to 2 with increased file sizes above 250K as follows:
007.html 283.1KB
008.html 555.8KB

Since each Heading Outline level is only allowed 1 paragraph style I add page breaks for a Heading by going to any specific Heading and Format the Paragraph with a tick in Page break before. This preserves the eReader generated ToC indented hierarchy.
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Alan

Post by Alan »

In reversing the Registry edit I found that 1 of the page breaks I had thought had been removed was still there. This means that the whole story HTML would have been reduced to 1.
Atlantis 4.3
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When "Ebook300KB" is "1" (the default value), Atlantis automatically breaks "too long" HTMLs into smaller files. If you specify "0" for "Ebook300KB", and there are no manual page breaks in your source document, Atlantis is supposed to save it as one HTML file.