Very slow response to AutoHotkey word replacement

General comments and questions. Technical support.
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

I tried on 2 laptops with different Windows versions and didn't notice a difference.
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

To this already long thread let me add 2 observations:

It's only the Square and Tight image layouts that cause drastic slowdown with AHK. In Line with Text doesn't.

On a whim I installed AWP 4.0.2 on an old, 32-bit laptop running XP. AHK is significantly faster there!

I thought 32-bit vs 64-bit AHK could make a difference, so I ran 32-bit AHK on my 64-bit laptop, but that doesn't change a thing.

Do you actually run AHK when doing your tests?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We normally do not conduct tests with third-party applications.

Atlantis Word Processor in no way interacts with AHK. It is not AHK-aware and has no options related to AHK.

As I understand, AHK simply synthesizes keystrokes in text editing applications. Atlantis responses to those keystrokes in the same way as it responses to regular keystrokes.

If Atlantis slowly responses to the AHK's keystrokes on your system, there should be same delay in case with standard key presses. This is why I asked you to press and hold any "character" key in your "slow" document.

Finally, AHK has nothing to do with the document contents in Atlantis, and especially with pictures. If having a floating picture in the document is a necessary condition to reproduce the delays, this whole issue is unrelated to AHK. Your "slow" document is a very simple document. Atlantis is supposed to reformat/paginate such documents in no time even on slow systems. So the question is why that floating picture slows Atlantis down on your fast system.

By the way, did you try using Atlantis under the Draft view?
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

If Atlantis slowly responses to the AHK's keystrokes on your system, there should be same delay in case with standard key presses.
I don't find this to be the case (see GIF).
If having a floating picture in the document is a necessary condition to reproduce the delays, this whole issue is unrelated to AHK.
Without pictures AHK is slower in AWP than it is in other programs. Pictures in Square or Tight format drastically increase this effect.
By the way, did you try using Atlantis under the Draft view?[/code]
I was using Draft view all along. Print view is faster, except on the page where the Square layout image is. This perhaps suggests a pagination issue.

I mostly use text, so the issue with images is peripheral in my view. But it may be a symptom of something else that could, if found, benefit AWP response to AHK overall.
Attachments
"Slow" AHK file with Square image layout, Draft view
"Slow" AHK file with Square image layout, Draft view
GAPW5.gif (87.46 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

According to your GIF animation, Atlantis treats your key presses and the key presses synthesized by AHK identically slowly: your typed characters do not get inserted to the document faster than the characters generated by AHK. Actually, it is irrelevant to Atlantis how exactly a given keystroke was generated.

Obviously, the presence of floating pictures in the document makes the pagination procedure more complex and time-consuming. But the next release of Atlantis Word Processor will include some adjustments in this regard. You would notice a faster response to key presses in cases when the current paragraph is not overlapped by floating objects.

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please update to the latest version of Atlantis (4.0.2.2), and try it out with AHK on your "slow" document.
JPh1

Post by JPh1 »

It's a bit faster, certainly. Thanks for looking into this.

I actually converted my AHK script to an AutoCorrect file, as initially suggested by @Robert. Almost 10K entries: Atlantis made it easy. There are a few problems, and substitutions that don't make it (e.g. automatic string substitution within words), but I'm able to only keep those active in AWP since AHK can be contextualized according to the target window.
Nothing beats AutoCorrect speed of course.