Dir My Documents\Atlantis\ is unwanted

General comments and questions. Technical support.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By the way, future releases of Atlantis might introduce an option to create "portable" installations of Atlantis on a non-removable disk (under any folder of user's choice). All the Atlantis settings and files would be stored under that folder.
mekineer

Post by mekineer »

Nice talking with you gentlemen
Polarigel

Post by Polarigel »

admin wrote:By the way, future releases of Atlantis might introduce an option to create "portable" installations of Atlantis on a non-removable disk (under any folder of user's choice). All the Atlantis settings and files would be stored under that folder.
Any news about that? Tried the newest version again. Really liked it, but I can't use software that doesn't respect the file structure on my computer.

Back to version 1 one more time...
Polarigel

Re: Dir My Documents\Atlantis\ is unwanted

Post by Polarigel »

By the way, future releases of Atlantis might introduce an option to create "portable" installations of Atlantis on a non-removable disk (under any folder of user's choice). All the Atlantis settings and files would be stored under that folder.
Anything new? I'm still using version 1- and still hoping for an update I actually can use.
Polarigel

Workaround: Dir My Documents\Atlantis\ is unwanted

Post by Polarigel »

Workaround:

It's actually possible to emulate a removable drive in Windows 10:

I first created a virtual disk using Windows Disk Management. I then mounted the virtual disk as a removable drive using the freeware ImDisk (Howto: see https://yoodley.com/create-a-virtual-us ... n-windows/).

I then installed Atlantis on this "removable drive". Everything is working so far (even moving the virtual disk between systems), and I didn't get any unwanted directories and files like My Documents\Atlantis\ all over the place.

Maybe someone will find that usefull

Polarigel
Polarigel

Post by Polarigel »

I used the Imdisk-workaround for a few months now and it still works fine. It just has one side-effect: Windows Update doesn't work while the Imdisk-Service is loaded.
Workaround:
-> Deactivate the services ImDskSvc (ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver Helper) and ImDisk (ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver) e.g. by using the Sysinternal tool Autoruns.
-> Restart Windows
-> Run Windows Update
-> Activate the services again
-> Restart Windows
Everything now working as before.

That I go through all this for being able to use Atlantis without messing up my file system says a lot. I really would like a truly portable version of Atlantis.
rstroud

Re:

Post by rstroud »

admin wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:02 pm This dialog is used when you choose a new folder for the Atlantis Backup Files.
When I looked over the code that is quoted there, I thought, "Wow, this looks like Delphi/Object Pascal."

If Atlantis is coded in Pascal, I say, "Cool! I loved Pascal when I was teaching myself a little about coding a few years ago."

I still use the Delphi clone called Lazarus (it is free) when I tinker with coding every once in a while.

:D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Version 4.1.6 allows to choose a different location for user files of Atlantis:
https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/e ... _6_000.htm
Polarigel

Post by Polarigel »

That's progress! Thank you for that!
Is the new version fully portable if I use the program directory for user files? Or does it write into other directories and/ or the registry?